Academic Sabbatical Leave on H1B

I am an associate professor and will be going on sabbatical leave for a semester. I will be receiving full pay during my sabbatical. Do I have to leave the US during the sabbatical period?

I don’t think you need to leave the US because your employer will be running your payroll during the leave period.

For any prolonged unpaid leaves, it becomes necessary to document using a letter from your employer stating you continue to be their employee during the unpaid leave period. This type of document should be acceptable to USCIS as a proof of maintaining lawful status during prolonged unpaid leave period.

1 Like

Thank you Kalpesh for your prompt response.