Approved i140 - Leave US and come back later through a different h1b employer?

180 days after approval, provided your employer has not withdrawn within 180 days.

Yes.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your comment. I got a question. Was your I140 filed regularly or premium.

This thread have a lot of amazing info! Thank yo so much for answering all the question. I clarified most of my doubts by referring to the answers provided here. It’d be great if someone could also help me answer one remaining question:

Situation:
I have in the 3rd year of my H1B, have an approved i140 but haven’t yet completed 180 days with the same employer. I want to move back to my home country for some family emergency. My company have an office there and they are willing to put me in that office.

Question:
What if I want to return to US after 2-3 years with the same employer when things at home becomes normal? Can I be on H1B or do I have to switch to L1?

I-140 is for a future green card job. You company can file L1 or H1B, doesn’t matter.
If you come on H1B, you can get extension beyond 6 years term based on approved I-140.

Thanks, Kalpesh. If my employer files for an H1B, would I have to go through the H1B lottery again if I have an approved I-140?

I already covered that in my response, the answer is no, your extension will be cap-exempt due to approved I-140.

2 Likes