Automatic L2 EAD, H4 EAD Auto Extension up-to 180 days - Questions & Answers

Hi, if you have visited the border for I-94 extension can you please share your experience. I’m in a similar situation as yours and planning to visit Canada border.

Hi Anil,

If I go to Mexico with valid visa for I 94 extension, will my advance parole get denied (I have filed for I-485 EAD and AP?

Yes, the advance parole will be denied.

1 Like

hello @anil_am22 Quick update on h4 I94 extension. Yesterday we visited Canada border. here is my case…

My current H1 and wife h4 are valid till Jan 27th 2022, applied h1 and h4 in Sep 3 My h1 approved till 2025 jan. H4 is still in pending. As her EAD is expiring on Jan 27th 2022. WE visited Canada border 12/18/2021 to extend her I94. But it was a failure attempt. Looks like the CBP officers at Canada border are not aware of the process.

First we called CBP help desk at 7168488521, they suggested to cross the rainbow bridge, and come back and i-94 extension is not bit deal. we did the same. But at the entry, officers said, since you already applied for H4 extension and which is in pending in USCIS, we cant issue I-94, which may contradict USCIS decision.
We have tried 2 /3 times. Every time almost same answer. They are not willing to extend H4’s I-94 based my H1 approval.

Helpdesk says, we can get I-94 extended without any issue. Whereas at CBP officers at the border not giving, We said we will give a call to helpdesk. But they are not ready to talk to any one. Simply they are saying if the H4 decision is different and If we issues i94 now it will be problem for us. We are not convinced with their answer, but we cant argue with them… We have already tried 3 times, by assuming we may see different officers. First on 12/18 evening 6 pm. and 8 pm. and 12/19 morning 11 am. On 12/18 they bluntly said, we cant do it, On 12/19 they verified all our documents and said since u already file h4 extension we cant give. You should have come here before u file the renewal. My wife and daughter only went inside. as Helpdesk suggested H1 should not go there… there is a chance they may not allow primary with out valid visa. all Contradictory answers at Canada border…

Or may be we are unlucky…

@dswetha FYI…

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I was able to successfully extend my I-94 based on my husband’s approval notice at the Mexico Border yesterday.

2 Likes

Can you please explain in detail what steps you took for the i-94 extension on the Mexico border and what all documents are required?
Was your visa extension and EAD extension pending when you went to the Mexico border and which visa is it? Mine is L2.
Thanks in advance!

Hi,

My EAD was expired on 3 October 2021 and my i-94 is going to expire on 27 Jan 2022. I applied i-765 as well as i-535 together on 17 September 2021 and both are pending.

I am now working with auto extension. How long can I work ? Is it up to 27 Jan 2022 (i-94 expiry) or 31 March 2022 (180 days)?

You can keep working till your I-94 is valid.

I carried My Husband’s approved H1B notice, My passport and Marriage Certificate. When I visited border, my H4 Visa and EAD were valid.

1 Like

does it matter if the L2 visa stamp from the first extension is not stamped on the passport but approval documents are there? Any ideas?

Are there anyone here with experience to renew h4 i-94 at an airport CBP? I would like to take a vacation to Mexico while getting H4 extended at same time

Thanks. Our HR is saying since extension and EAD was filled concurrently. I can work until applications are pending up to 180 days

Did you check with your company’s immigration lawyer? HR may not be aware of the USCIS rules and policies.

Yes this is there responseH