Can i pay rent to my in-laws if i am staying with them?

i reside with my in-laws. may i i pay rent to my in-laws.may i get HRA Rebate if i show them that they are depenendent on me.

  1. If you are staying in a house owned by your in-laws, you can certainly pay them rent and claim HRA rebate. The rent you pay would be added to their individual income and taxed as per their tax slabs.

  2. I am not sure what kind of dependency are you showing for your in-laws? Please elaborate.