Can my spouse be one of witnesses when I am sole executant of the Power of attorney?

Hi Anil,

1. Can my spouse be one of the witnesses? - I am the sole executant of the POA and my spouse is an american citizen.

2. The Chicago consulate’s site specifically says “The Consulate will attest the documents only after they have been first notarized and then apostilled by the state authorities concerned in the US.” Your blog doesn’t call out for getting the document apostilled as a mandatory step. Is it Ok to just get the document notarized?

3. Should I take a copy of the POA along with my picture attached? Or just the signatures?

Thanks in advance!

Simran

Hi Simran,

1. Yes, anybody having a valid US ID proof can be the witness.
  2. I have mentioned the Chicago Embassy’s condition of Apostile in the article where I talk about the ‘Attestation of POA at Indian embassy’ in detail here.

Your understanding is correct, Chicogo Embassy needs Apostile irrespective of appearing in person or sending docs by mail.
3. The copy of POA should also have the pictures, witness signatures and Notary sign (with Stamp). It should be exact replica of the original.

Let me know if you need more information.