Form I 765 - Which Passport Number should be used in travel information section?

Hello Anil, Thank you for the detailed instructions and sample form. My H1B is approved and I have I-140 approved. My spouse is applying for extension (i539) and EAD (765). On question 21.b (information about last arrival in US), the instructions in USCIS website to fill the I-765 document mention the follows
Passport and Travel Document Numbers. If you used a passport or travel document to travel to the United States, enter either the passport or travel document information in the appropriate space on the application, even if the passport or travel document is currently expired.

So it looks like she has to fill in the old passport which she used to enter US even though she has a new passport issued after that. But the description about the question 21.b in the form says this “Passport number of your most recently issued passport”. Here it says “most recent”. This is confusing. I feel like the she should use the one which was used to enter US since the question comes under the last travel information section. What should be actually enter here? The one which used to enter US or the one which is the latest?

Question 21.e for the same reason. Should this be the expiry date of passport which used to enter US or the latest passport?

Did you check the filing instructions and sample H4 EAD form here?

Yes Anil, I did. There isn’t anything specifically mentioned for 21.b (passport number). Should this be the passport used to enter US (as mentioned in page 22 of https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-765instr.pdf) Or the latest renewed passport number?

As per my opinion, it should be the most recent valid passport.

1 Like