H1b Coronavirus Stimulus Bill Check Questions & Answers

A post was merged into an existing topic: Get my payment IRS website showing wrong information?

I am on H1B filed jointly (wife on H4 ITIN). When I checked “Get my payment” on IRS website it showed “According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time”.
Some website says I am not eligible because wife is on H4 (with ITIN), but some website says I am eligible to receive $1200.
Not sure though!

Got my stimulus money today. Let’s call it X
I didn’t file my 2019 taxes yet so they considered 2018 wherein I was single. Got married in 2019 so now when I check the ‘stimulus calculator’ the expected amount is more than 2X

Can I do something or claim the rest now?
Please advise!

I didn’t get the stimulus check. My situation is H1b-SSN + H4Spouse-ITIN + Citizen-child SSN. My colleague who has the same status didn’t receive single cent either.

Hi @Ajanth

Check this:

1. IRS Stimulus Payment FAQ
  2. How to get IRS stimulus check payment?

Hi @ag4ind

IRS is processing payments in batches. If you have not received yet does not mean that you won’t receive it.

Have patience.

1 Like

Hello Anil Gupta- Thanks. In the other post you have mentioned such scenario and confirmed. Have you heard from the people who are in the same boat with me?

Your link says “This message is shown if the IRS has not processed your tax return yet. In most cases, this is happening if you have not filed your 2019 tax return yet.”
But in my case I have filed 2019 tax return and also received tax return refund.
Anyway thanks for the information you provided. Will wait and see.

Hi Anil,

I have a similar situation,married filed jointly (SSN+ITIN) and my salary is above 99k .Would this be considered as a higher threshold based on Single or would i be considered since its less than 149 k (married filing jointly )

Thanks for your help.

Hi @praveen

Calculate how much amount you can expect here.

1 Like

Hello,

IRS Says H1B(SSN) + H4(ITIN) will not be eligible. your post says otherwise. Did anyone actually get money?

Q14. I filed a joint return with my spouse. Will we receive a Payment if I have a valid SSN and my spouse has an IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)?

A14. No, when spouses file jointly, both spouses must have valid SSNs to receive a Payment with one exception. If either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN.

If spouses file separately, the spouse who has an SSN may qualify for a Payment; the other spouse without a valid SSN will not qualify.

Regards,

Maddy

Hi, I accidentally filed my 2019 tax return with spouse ITIN even though she got SSN this year. And yet to get my tax returns. Is there any possibility to be eligible for stimulus package?

People have confirmed to me directly that they have received money for H1B SSN + H4 ITIN combination.

Now, i cannot really check anybody’s account but more than 1 person has confirmed.

1 Like

Here is where some people have reported themselves too.

A post was split to a new topic: H1B SSN + F1 SSN received Stimulus Money $2400

Most of my friends who are Single (H1B) received their $1200 check and haven’t heard any person who received check whose status is H1B + spouse ITIN!
It doesn’t makes sense why this person cannot receive atleast $1200!
To be frank H1B + spouse ITIN will be in need of stimulus check than otherwise.

Just my thoughts…

Agreed… that is worst filter criteria… single folks receiving money but family folks are getting excluded who they really need help !!!

This is flaw and only lawmakers can make corrections!!

Hi All, I have a query related to stimulus Bill check. Could someone please provide information.
I was there in US from Aug 2018 - Dec 2018 on H1B visa and returned to India. After coming to India, I have filed 2018 tax returns.
Now I got a stimulus check on my name to our address there. Now I am not sure whether I can use that amount. Is it legal to cash that check? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Hi @Prabha_Chetlapalli

As long as you received the check, you can legally cash it. IRS system found you to be eligible for the check and hence sent it.

Thanks much Anil. I have closed my bank account there and I am looking for a way to cash that check. I have only SSN but does not have state ID and Driver’s license to open a bank account there. Please let me know is there any way that I can cash that check.
Thanks in advance.