H4 EAD and H1B medical Insurance

Hi @anil_am22

I am working on H1B visa as a consultant and my wife is working on H4 EAD as a contractor.

As of now I am having the insurance from my employer for myself and my family.

My wife’s employer is also providing medical insurance which seems to be better than insurance plan which I bought from Marketplace.

Could you please let me know if I can buy medical insurance from my wife’s employer and terminate the insurance which I bought from Marketplace.

Asking this question just to clarify H4EAD candidate can be primary on medical insurance or not. Is there any rule or law that H1B has to be primary policy holder for medical insurance.

Thanks
Ashish

You can use insurance from any one of your employers. Insurance company don’t care if primary is H1B or H4, it’s just a benefit from the employer and has nothing to do with your status.

1 Like

Hi @Kalpesh_Dalwadi

My question is more related from USCIS perspective . Is there clause from USCIS that if someone is working on H1B he/she has to be the primary policy holder for medical insurance. In case H4 wants insurance from his/her company they can buy separate and add only kids as dependent not H1B.

Just want to make sure there is no mandate from USCIS that H1B holder must have an insurance where he/she is primary.

Thanks
Ashish Singla

There is no such requirement from USCIS. USCIS only governs the immigration laws and not insurance. You can get whatever insurance you want from either or both H1B/H4 and add dependents on whichever insurance you like, totally up to you to decide.

Thanks a lot @Kalpesh_Dalwadi for providing all the info !!