H4 extension processing delay and travel with pending i539

Hi,

I got my H1 extension approved in June 2020. My employer did not file H4 extension along with that so I filed H4 extension for my wife and kids on 19th June 2020. Their previous visa was valid till 14 Sept 2020.

My family got the biometric done on 10th July 2020.

The receipt number for H4 extension is starting with WAC, so I understand it is California Service Center (CSC).

When I filed my family’s H4 extension, the processing time was 6 months. But now it is showing as 17.5 to 21.5 months which is way too much. I know couple of friend who had filed H4 extension for their family at around the same time and I heard that their H4 extension is approved already.

There is no update on my case after biometric were updated.

I have following questions:

1. Is there a way I can followup with USCIS to understand the reason for delay and provide any additional information to expedite the case?

2. Is there a way to move my application to other service center as they are processing cases within 6 months ?

3. We are planning to visit India in April 2021. If the results of H4 extension (i539) does not come by that time, would it be okay if we travel to India and apply for my H1 visa and my family’s H4 visa?

4. Will it create any issue in getting H4 visa due to pending i539 ? Do we need to carry any additional document for dropbox or visa interview due to pending i539.

5. Even if we get H4 visa, will it have any problem in future due to travel while pending i539?

Response to these queries will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chandra

You can get H4 visa stamp. The pending i539 will not affect anything.

1 Like

Thanks @anil_am22. That’s a big relief. Now I can plan my travel without waiting for i539 result.

Shall we carry i539 receipt for visa stamping (or submit it along with other documents for dropbox) to prove that my wife and kids did not overstay illegally after previous visa expired?

Thanks,
Chandra

You can submit it just in case visa officer has any doubts.

1 Like