Originally published at:
Originally published at:
Another great post!
I really liked that you covered the international airport scenario. I tried to do that because it was closer than go to the border and, as you mentioned, it’s not allowed.
In case someone needs some tips, If you are closer to Mexico than Canada, I would recommend to go to Nogales (border with Arizona) instead of Tijuana (border with California). The Nogales border is less crowded and faster.
Thanks for sharing. We appreciate it.
Thanks Anil for creating this Post. I would like to share my experience here @ Canada Detroit Windsor Tunnel border during Covid-19 Pandemic.
Background: I have recently renewed my Passport inside US ( Chicago Indian Embassy). My I-94 was given only till old passport expiry date ( June 15 2020). Hence I had to get new I-94 to stay further inside USA. Due to Covid-19 Pandemic and international travel ban in place, I really had tough situation. Anyhow, finally I made it
Date: May 13 2020
- I have called CBP Windsor Tunnel office as well as Canada Windsor border agency and explained my situation. Both officers agreed to let me Enter the Canada border and take a U-turn and Re-enter into United States to get the New I-94.
- I drove into Windsor Tunnel to cross Canada and officers sent me back to the US side ( Just a U turn after interviewing me in detail. Border Non-Essential travel ban in place)
- Upon arriving at the CBP check-post at US side, officer interviewed me and I gave a I-94 request form ( I had filled this form in CBP site with my old passport detail and paid $6 and printed it. Site won’t allow to enter new passport details, because VISA is tagged to old passport)
- CBP officer directed me to park the Car at filed officer parking lot and let me enter the CBP building.
- CBP officer inside the building, asked few questions (normal POE interview) and issued me a New Paper I-94 slip to my new passport)
- I checked the I-94 site and my arrival record is tagged to my old passport number and dates are valid till my VISA expiry.
P.S : Canada US border Non-Essential travel restrictions in place. Canada officers won’t let you pass the border check-post. But they still allow you to take a U turn and re-enter.
I had called Otay Mesa, San Ysidro in San Diego and both places they have agreed to renew I-94. But they told me I have to cross the border and Re-enter and it is valid even though Mexico US non-essential travel restrictions in place. Laredo border office also agreed to do renewal, but there is a travel restrictions in place for other state travelers entering into Texas. I live in Michigan, so I chose this option. Reply to this post if you have any questions.
Good Luck guys. Stay Safe.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
similiar to your case, my son (age 10y) got new passport and his I-94 is expiring in nov 2020 based on his old passport. my self and my wife has I-94 validity til visa expiry. We thought to visit CBP office in detroit to extend my sons I-94 but we stopped ourself becasue we dont have canada visa if CBP officers ask us to cross boarder and re enter.
Can you guide us which CBP office number we have to dail and get approval before we reach their office physically.
https://www.dwtunnel.com/customs/ and call both CBP and Canada border numbers. I think they will still let you cross the border because you are not really entering Canada. Just tell them that you are going to take U turn and come back to United States.
But you still have lots of time left till November. You can even plan for applying Canada Visa and visit Canada and return. Border will open in at least end of June.
do you have CBP and canada boarder numbers? I will also dail same get same result…
please call 313-393-3793 ext 0 for U.S. Customs or call 519-257-6473 for Canadian Customs.
Thank you Anil for writing this post. Based on information you provided and Vinoda Bagada’s post and help I was able to get my i94 extended at Otay Mesa, San Diego Mexico border.
Vinoda has already covered all the steps in details.
I’m adding few more points that are specific to Oaty Mesa CBP office.
- You may have to call multiple times to confirm, as not all agents know about i94 extn.
My first call reached their cargo center and the person did not know much. Second call was same.
On my third call, officer confirmed that they will do i94 extn.
Pls. tell very clearly about passport expiration/new passport, valid visa etc.
- If you are driving to CBP office Otay Mesa and using google maps, pls. do not put CBP office address. Google maps shows you route that cross Mexico border and back to reach CBP office in US. Rather put Sentri Otay Mesa in google maps. This office is in the same building and google maps takes you to the office without crossing Mexico border.
- Once you enter the CBP building, on your right there is a small room that has “Permit” written at its door. That is the room for i94 extension.
Officer checked my details, i94 extn. form (suggest you fill and pay i94 form online and take printout), passports, i797, photo id (DL) and updated my i94. He did not even ask me to cross border. Overall it went pretty smooth.
Pls. feel free to contact me for any query.
Can someone please guide options to renew I-94 (got new Indian passport) when you do not have Canadian visa, am in New Jersey. I went Buffalo POE, I called before going and they agreed over phone … but in duty CBP officer sent me back saying he cannot renew I-94 unless I make an official exit from usa.
- I have H1B (no Green Card) , not sure if I can get canadian eTA visa and just to air travel and come back
- Michigan CBP office also confirmed over phone that they will allow U turn and give new I-94 but I am not concerned that on duty officer may refuse highlighting same official exit concern (which means official entry to Canada and then come back with U turn)
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks for the posting your experience , your travel date was in May 2020 i guess but due to the new EO recently and COVID-19 can we still go and get the I94 renewed . I have a valid stamping until 2022 . I’m in a similar boat at urs but still unable to decide work with the attorney to file or travel and get it done. As you see the cases of COVID-19 are on a raise so unable to decide.
Please try in San Diego locations. Few others went there last month and got i-94 renewed. Canada border did not work for two guys, better option is Otay Mesa center. Good luck.
Hey guys @Anil.Gupta and specially @manish.varshney Thanks a lot for posting your i94 extension experience. I am looking to visit Otay Mesa, San Diego Mexico border but before that i have below queries, Please help me in this.
- I have valid Stamped VISA till FEB 2022 (on old passport)
- Approved i797 till FEB 2022
- I94 is valid till 19th AUG 2020 because my old passport is expiring 19th AUG 2020
- Received my Renewed passport from Indian Embassy (San Francisco) which is valid till 2030
Now i need to visit Otay Mesa, San Diego Mexico border to get my i94 extended based on VISA and Newly received Passport, so my question is
- Do we need to take any prior appointment before visiting the CBP Office ?
- Where can i pay $6 and complete prior application about i94 as indicated by you above
- Any documents apart from old i94, old + new passports (original) , valid i797 approval, Address proff like Electricity bill is needed ?? like employer letter , pay slips ? project documents etc ? any more documents needed ?
- I can’t drive so planning to take cab till that office from Airport, i hope this should be okay and allowed
Below are details
- As far as I know there is no prior appointment for CBP offices.
- I94 - Official Website (select via land border).
- Photo Id. I used my driving license. Take address proof also. I did take other docs. like pay slips, company letter etc. I did take other documents (like pay slips, employer letter) but they did not ask for it.
- Should be ok. Pls. tell driver to not cross border.
I’m told SENTRI office also does i94 update. You may be able to get appointment. You can call them to confirm. Numbers are on CBP site for Otey Mesa.
@Anil.Gupta any idea how soon can we apply for I-94 extension via I-539?
spouse’s I-94 is expiring in Jun-2021 and EAD renewal is in progress.
Also I hope we can file I-539 online too in this case.
My spouse got I94 stamped till 18 Oct 2020 passport expiry date .H4B visa is stamped with Aug 2021 Validity.she has got new passport now.
Please let me know wether she can stay on expired I94 since we are reluctant to travel anywhere in Covid time.
You cannot stay in the US without a valid i94.
Just to add on my experience and my thought.
I am one of that case who has valid stamp but passport was renewed so need to renew I94.
I called Detroit Windsor tunnel US Border office and they told they will do it. When I reach there the guy at toll booth helped me to park my vehicle there and go to US border office by walk, at that moment the officer denied that they won’t update as I was not gone out of USA. Then I actually went to tunnel and Canada side I asked the officer that I don’t want to go to Canada, just want to make a turn, they understand and politely helped to complete the U-turn. THE CATCH IS CANADA BORDER HAS ENTERED IN THE RECORD THAT MY ENTRY TO CANADA IS DENIED. Completing the turn I entered USA and got my i94 updated.
Though I94 was updated, I am not pleased as I have record now that says I was denied entry to Canada.
I would say mostly we know when I94 is expiring so take visa and travel that is costly but it keeps your records clean.
Does anyone know that if Port of entry denial record is there what impact it will cause in future? or anything we can do about that?
I have got my I94 updated today by using CBP Deferred Inspection office.
You have to just send them an email with,
- The U.S. address where you are located.
- A brief explanation of the I-94 error, including the date of entry, port of entry, Airline and flight.
- A color PDF file of your Passport biographic page.
- A color PDF file of your Visa page.
- A color PDF file of your Admission Stamp page. (If a stamp was provided at entry)
- A PDF file of any documents associated with your visa, ie I-20, DS-2019, I-797.
They will update it and let you know or request you to provide more details.
Here is link for the same.
I GOT FOLLOWING REPLY FROM CBP
You have reached the San Francisco Deferred Inspection I-94 Correction Mail Box. Your I-94 correction request has been received and will be processed in the order it was received. Please do not respond to this email unless you are submitting the documents listed below.
The San Francisco Deferred Inspection Office will make I-94 corrections for people who reside in the San Francisco Bay Area (and surrounding areas) or passengers who arrived through the San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento, or Fresno International Airport. If you arrived at a different port of entry or do not reside in the area, please contact your nearest Deferred Inspection Office. This information is available at: http://www.cbp.gov/document/guidance/deferred-inspection-sites
CBP Deferred Inspection Offices are not responsible for providing extensions on admissions that were limited due to passport validity. Admitted until dates limited due to passport validity are not CBP errors. CBP cannot generate an admission for a passport that was not presented during the inspection process.
The items listed below will be required to process I-94 correction requests (Please send only the items that apply to your current status):
A signed letter detailing the I-94 issue including a good call-back number (For ALL Inquires)
A copy of your passport biographical page (For ALL Inquires)
A copy of your US non-immigrant visa AND admission stamp of your last arrival to the US (For ALL Inquires)
SEVIS Form (For F-1 International Students, J-1 Exchange Visitors, or M-1 Vocational Students Only)
I-797 Receipt from USCIS (For Employment Based Visas Only)
I-129S (For L-1 Visa Blanket Petitions Only)
I-512 Advanced Parole Document (For Adjustment of Status Applicants Only)
Refugee Airline Boarding Document (For Refugees Only)
DHS Form G-28 - Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative (If Represented by an Attorney Only, Attached to this email)
Please submit the request with the above listed items in PDF format and send only the items that apply to your current status. Please be advised that some corrections may still require you to make a personal appearance at the San Francisco Deferred Inspection Office.
Requests will be processed only when all the required documents are received. Confirmations will not be sent out when I-94s are updated. CBP will contact you only if additional information is needed (not listed above) and/or a personal appearance is required.
Please allow up to 3-5 business days for I-94 updates/corrections to be processed. Updated I-94s can be located on the CBP I-94 website: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
FOR THOSE ADMITTED UNDER THE VISA WAIVER PROGRAM SEEKING A SATISFACTORY DEPARTURE REQUEST, PLEASE CONTACT USCIS AT 1-800-375-5283.