I94 question after switching employers

Hello,

So, I was with employer X with valid visa stamp until May 2024.
I changed employers 6 months back and now I have a new approved I797 with new expiration date until 2025.
Recently, I travelled to Mexico for a vacation and entered through land.
The officer had no idea how to handle that situation when I presented my new I797 with the current employer, I explained the officer to “activate” my new I94 based on my new employer. He then asked for his superior’s help and he was equally confused.
Eventually, they let me enter, but when I checked my recent I94, it does show my new I94 number but it still points to the May 2024 date which was based on my previous employer.
I was expecting that my I94 date would be actually aligned to my new employers validity date.
Is my expectation correct? Has the officer made an error on my I94 record? If so, how can I proceed to correct this with the CBP office?

Yes.

You can go to nearest CBP deferred inspection office to have the information corrected.

2 Likes

Yes.

You can go to nearest CBP deferred inspection office to have the information corrected.

2 Likes

Thank you Kalpesh.
Does this impact any other out of country travel before I get an actual stamping done?
I have another visit coming up this summer and from what I gathered from the info is that I can enter as long as I have valid I-94 until my visa expiration.
Does this error impact any future travel? I am on the process of correcting it anyway asap.

Thanks much for your reply.

No issue, you can travel and enter back as far as your have a valid visa or able to use AVR if visiting Canada or Mexico. You will get opportunity to present current I-797 and get I-94 till current I-797 validity. Make sure your passport is valid beyond your current I-797.