If I mail documents for attestation, to which address attested document will be returned back?

Hi Anil,

Thanks for your post. It is highly useful and makes things clear and simple.

  1. If I mail the documents for attestation, to which address the attested document will be returned back?
  2. Do you know if it is possible to ask the consulate to return to a different address than the one mentioned as residential address in the miscellaneous form? As I’ll be working in my client location for a month and my residential address is in a different city.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Ramu,

  1. You can only apply to a consulate allocated to your region. The region is decided by your address proof i.e. driving licence, home lease agreement or an electricity bill. You can’t choose an embassy.

  2. Yes, you SHOULD send a return envelope with the address that you want it to be shipped back to. You can choose any address in this case. Embassy does not care about it. It is your responsibility to mention the correct return address on the envelope.
    I don’t think you need to send the extra $20 for mailing it back if you are sending a return envelope (with postage and tracking). You can confirm it by calling the embassy once. I have read it on their website and nothing is mentioned specifically for this case.
    So, I would just send the ‘return envelope’ with postage.

NOTE: For Chicago embassy, you need to get the documents APOSTILED too.

Let me know if you need more information.