Last name misspell at new I797

Hi @Anil.Gupta,

My H1B extension completed on Mar 25th’2020 and today i got copy of new I797 from my attorney . I just realized that they misspell my last name (one letter missing at last name). Can you please let me know how to fix it asap and if i submit my passport renewal with out correct new I797, will it be any issue

Who’s mistake is it? USCIS or your attorney?

Ask your attorney to request USCIS to fix the mistake.

Hi @Anil.Gupta , as per as i know , I129 application spelled correctly and USCIS misspell in receipt and approver copy . do we know how long will it take to correct and get new approver copy ?

as well as i didnt notice with receipt copy initially so i have submitted my spouse EAD extension with misspelled receipt copy , will EAD extension get effect with this misspell I797?

I don’t see any issue with H4 EAD but you never know.

There is no fixed time for i797 correction but it usually takes 4-6 weeks.

Thanks @Anil.Gupta for clarification

Hi @Anil.Gupta , I have two more follow up question on same issue. could you please help to get them clarify

1. My Attorney team filed service request to correct last name on I797.Since i have already filed H4 EAD extension with current H1 I797(which has last name typo) , will i get new I797 Same receipt number or different receipt number ? if i get new I797 different receipt number , how do i contact USICS and add new I797 to H4 EAD extension file

2. i didnt find option to track service request from USCIS . do we have any way to track service request status from online

The receipt number will not change as you have not filed any new application.

The service request should show up in case history on USCIS case status website.

Thanks @Anil.Gupta. Case status not yet updated when i search with receipt number