Mexico (Cancun) Travel Experience for I-94 Extension - IMP Please read - Bumpy ride - Happy ending

No, a visa stamp in your passport. If it is expired then you need tourist card.

Okay… Thanks for your response.

Do you know how do I get the tourism card and approx processing time for it.

Thanks so much for the help so far!

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

@anil_am22 you are right. Once i got passport renewed. I need to follow same process to get my i 94 extended.
But my wife and kid h4 are still pending with uscis. On approval the i94 attached to i797(h4) will be latest right. Do they still need to extended their i94 at port of entry ?

One last question… sorry

Do I need to apply for mexican visitor visa (or) only the tourism card for the travel?

Thanks in Advance!

You can try to contact CBP through email. I did contact through email and online I-94 was extended to reflect new H1B -i 94. What was your last port of entry ?

1 Like

My last entry from India to USA was on Jul 2011. to extend y wife i-94. Recently We visited Mexico, on return at USA port of entry they updated my online I-94 till my passport validate which is Aug-2023( i-94 in my I797 is till Jan 2025). Whereas my daughter case, her h4 is still pending, but they updated her i-94 till her passport expiry date ( Dec 2022). What details I should send to CBP email, to extend my online i-94 till Jan 2025?

for my daughter and wife, should I email their approved H4 797 and new passports? so that they will update online i-94?

Ok. In my case I had passport renewed ,then I went to India and while coming back CBP issued I-94 one year less than H1-b -I94. This was CBP mistake and they rectify it online without need me to cross border. Your case is different. Most likely you have to visit Canada border (rainbow bridge) if it’s near to you or any other border which is nearer. Make this trip after you have renewed all of your passports. After returning check all your I-94 online to reflect correct date and if any mistake contact one of the CBP through email and most likely it will get fixed without crossing border.

For ur reference below is one of Q&A

Q: When I arrived, the CBP officer limited my admission because my passport was expiring. I renewed my passport while in the US and now have sufficient time to get a full admission. Can I get my admission corrected?

A: No. CBP Deferred Inspection Offices are not responsible for providing extensions on admissions that were limited due to passport validity. Admitted until dates limited because of passport validity are not CBP errors. CBP cannot give you an admission for a passport you did not present during the inspection process. To receive the full admission date based on your new passport, you must depart the US and re-enter using the new passport OR you can file an extension of your current non-immigrant admission with USCIS using form I-539. The form and instructions can be found at All Forms | USCIS.

Here is one of CBP email in case u need to contact in future.
TROY.EDMISTON@cbp.dhs.gov

1 Like

@anil_am22 QQ. Does this automatic revalidation impacts pending H4 applications?

I am on same boat. My H4 visa got expired in 2019, I am on 797A that is going to expire in February’22. My EAD and I 94 will also expire at the same time. Traveled to Canada CBP- Detroit but they refused to extend my I94 based on my husband’s approved 797A that is valid till 2025. I don’t have another option rather than trying Mexico border now, as I might have to lose my job if my I94 don’t get extended soon. As my visa is expired and after seeing this horrific experience of yours, I am really nervous. I don’t have Mexico visa. All I can get is Mexico travel card (FMM) in this short period of time, which I donno would work for me or not. Any suggestions that I should be careful about, would be much appreciated. Do you suggest land border or flying to Mexico (ex Cancun). I am very confused. Please suggest .

It depends on the USCIS officer. They may or may not send an RFE.

Mexico FMM card is not the same as a visa. FMM card is just like US i94.

Mexico allows entry if you have an unexpired US visa stamp in your passport.

What are the ways to get entry in Mexico if my visa is expired but I have valid status and I 94?

Please read the linked article. It has provided all the options.

Sure. Thank you for your help!

@anil_am22 My company Attorney says, I can’t do Automatic revalidation again with new passport to get i-94 extended till 2025 (h1 validity) . As CBP reduced my i-94 from 2025 to Aug 2023 because of Passport validity. I have to travel and get VISA stamp. Thats the only way I can i-94 beyond Aug 2023 and can enter in to USA. Can u please read below. Plz correct me if my understanding is not correct.

In her words "unfortunately, you would not be able to “automatically revalidate the I-94” since you were specifically shortened to the passport validity. Thus, for CBP to readmit you to the 2025 end date, they will want to see a new visa. Thus, ideally you want to take a trip either to get new visas or re-enter on an Advance Parole after you get your new passports and before your daughter’s I-94 expires (since it is coming up the soonest) ".

Note: I recently submitted 485 ( Dec 2021) my PD is Apr 2013. Finger prints also not done, 140 (current Employer) is still pending. Regular process. Not sure whether I will get AP by Dec 2022.

Hi,
My Wife’s EAD and I94 expires in April 2022 and I have my I797 until December 2024.
Our VISA’s got expired already.

Only she can go Nogales, Arizona CBP and get I94 revalidation ?

By seeing all the replies, Its yes only but wanted to cross check.

Note: Her H4 and EAD extensions are in pending with USCIS.

Thanks in advance

Well, I can’t suggest over and above your attorney’s advice as they know more about your case details than you have shared here.

You may want to take a second opinion from other attorney.

1 Like

My h1, wife’s h4 and h4ead, visa stamp expire on March 10th. I’m going to get premium p done. Lawyer said that I should get it by Feb 15th.

Should I file h4 and h4 ead with h1 or do it later to avail h4ead auto extension? Will we get the required documents in time to make this trip and be back.

Do I need to travel to Cancun or is there any other way, we are expecting a baby and don’t want to travel unless we have to.

If we have to go to Cancun can we go later after getting a Mexican visa? Won’t have a valid us stamp though.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!!