Passport Timeline at SF consulate

Can someone post their timeline/recent experience with VFS on getting their passport renewed (without tatkal)? I have already applied and the process seems to be taking forever.

Thanks!

2 Likes

168 posts were split to a new topic: Passport Timeline at SF consulate 2021

Hi Pratap,
Do they call you for police verification ? I applied in normal processing. I just got the police verification email. However, passport seva website shows that “Print has been initiated”. Nobody is leaving at my home address right now, as parents are USA. In this case, how do we do police verification ?

A datapoint. Applied passport renewal with Tatkal. It had address change. Took approx. two weeks.

Timeline:
Feb 02: Prepared documents and dropped them in a store.
Feb 03: Package got picked up by the courier from the store.
Feb 04: Checeked the tracking number to confirm that the documents got delivered.
Feb 07: Recieved an email from VFS. “We have Received your Application and your application is now Under Process.”
Feb 07: Recieved an email from VFS. “Your Application has been Processed at the VFS India Consular application Centre and currently is In-Transit to the Embassy of India.”
Feb 10: Checked in the govt website, print has been initiated.
Feb 11: Recieved an email from VFS. “Your document (s) is dispatched using the return label purchased or sent by you.”

Expecting to recieve passport in hand on Feb 14.

1 Like

what’s government website for tracking ?

I have applied for Passport renewal at SF, using their Fedex service.

Last status from email i got on Jan 25 2022:
Your Application has been ‘Processed’ at the VFS India Consular application Centre and currently is ‘In-Transit‘ to the Embassy of India/Consulate General of India for decision making.

no change after since.

Tracking it via https://www.vfsvisaonline.com/Global-PassportTracking/ shows only this -
Your application has reached at the Embassy/Consulate and is currently under review process

Anyone got updates who have submitted passport during Jan 25, 2022 ?

Here us the website if you login you should be able to see it on your screen where it shows passport applicaitons. or you can just track on the main page
https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html

hope it helps

1 Like

If there is no police verification email, is that an issue?

Perfect, I can see status there
Thanks victory_sreepada

Passport renewal applied in normal processing.
Changes: Adding Indian address (somehow it was shown as mandatory) and change in place of birth (replace district name to city name - to match with birth certificate).

02/18: Dropped off at FedEx:
02/21: FedEx delivered package at around 10 am.
02/21: (noon)VFS: We have ‘Received’ your Application and your application is now ‘Under Process’ at Chicago and will be submitted to the Mission for decision making.
02/22: (morning): VFS: Your Application has been ‘Processed’ at the VFS India Consular application Centre and currently is ‘In-Transit‘ to the Embassy of India/Consulate General of India for decision making.
02/22: (noon): VFS: Your application has reached at the Embassy/Consulate and is currently under review process
02/22: (noon): Govt Site: Application is under review
02/22: (night): Govt Site: Print has been initiated.
02/23 (morning): Police verification call to my relative at india address. Cop asked to visit tomorrow.
02/23 (noon): Govt Site: Passport has been printed

Now waiting for police verification to be completed tomorrow.

1 Like

02/24: (India afternoon) Cop arrives for in-person verification at India address.
02/24:(morning) Govt Site: Status moves back to: Passport application is under review at the Indian embassay/consulate.
02/24: (morning) Govt Site: Passport is printed and will be delivered shortly.
02/24: (evening) Govt Site: Passport has been handed over by the Embassy/Consulate to the OSP executive for further dispatch to the applicant.
02/24: (night) VFS: Your application has been reviewed by the Embassy of India/Consulate General of India & will be dispatched using the courier service you had opted.
02/25: (noon) Received the Fedex Tracking email. Expecting the delivery of new passport on 02/28 (Monday)

Overall: From delivery of my package to dispatch of new passport happened within 5 work days. I am seriously impressed by this turnaround time and prompt updates. Best of luck to everyone going thru this experience!

1 Like

@Rahul_Nair
Thanks for posting your experience, was it under taatkal ? I submitted to SFO embassy for DOB change & it is “under review” since 2-21.

@Kedar_Moghe I am in the same boat mine in review stage since 2-9 with no updates

Sorry, it was at Chicago consulate under regular processing.

@Nihar_Kulkarni Ohh, ok Nihar, please keep posting updates, is it at SFO & DOB change ?

No its a normal renewal within 12 months of expiry… only US address has changed. Seems it is taking long at sf with 3-4 weeks processing time…

Ok Thanks Nihar, is police verification done ?

1 Like

I don’t think so as I didn’t get any notification about the same also not sure whether I will get a verification request as the Indian address since the last renewal in the same consulate hasn’t changed

Mine has also been under-review since Feb 10th. Normal Processing, no change in passport except addition of Spouse. Within 12 months of passport expiry. At SF Consulate
@Nihar_Kulkarni Please update when you get any updates. I will do the same

Sure, hopefully will get an update this week as the official processing time is 3 weeks

2 Likes