PD Jan 2012 - Downgrade to EB3 vs Stay in EB2?

Hi,

My PD is Jan 2012. Latest EB2 I140 approved in June 2021. Given that the July bulletin shows my PD as current for EB3 and EB2 is projected to be current by Oct (for Jan 2012), should I file concurrently for downgrade + I-485 or remain in EB2 till Oct?

If I have to downgrade, should I file for premium processing of I-140 while concurrent filing? If accepted, I will get a 2 month advantage over filing in October with EB2 I-140… right?

I heard that if we are not doing a downgrade, the I-485 application goes to National Benefits Center. Is that true? If yes, does it improve the processing time for I-485?

Thank you

1 Like

USCIS may not give the option of using premium processing for EB3 i140 as it’s discretionary.

Now, it is up to you to make the judgement based on the current i140 processing time of about 10-12 months in the regular queue.

You may be allowed a premium upgrade but it’s not guaranteed.

I usually suggest filing a downgrade if the date might get current in the next 12 months as you get enough time to get i140 approved. Talk to your employer and check how comfortable they are.

1 Like

Thank you for the response @anil_am22 . My employer is comfortable either way. So the ball is in my court :slight_smile:

Can you also please respond to my other questions:
I heard that if we are not doing a downgrade, the I-485 application goes to National Benefits Center. Is that true? If yes, does it improve the processing time for I-485?

1 Like

The application can go anywhere. USCIS decides on the service center. I am not aware of any such pattern.

2 Likes

My friend downgraded from EB2 to EB3 in October. His application went to Nebraska Service Center. For my case, also EB2 to EB3 downgrade in Oct, it went to Texas Service Center. Anil seems to be right, I doubt there is any pattern as to where the application is sent.