Registration of PoA in state where property is located or can it be done in the state where my father resides?

Hi Anil,

Thank you for such a detailed write-up on the topic !

Had a quick question about the registration of the power of attorney in India. We have to execute a power of attorney in my father’s name for renting out our apartment in India.

My father resides in one state and the property is in another state. So should the registration of the power of attorney be done in the state where the property is located or can it be done in the state where my father resides (since a resident address and address proof is required).

Appreciate your help!

Thanks.
Bipin.

Each state in India has its own rules with respect to location for registration in case of multiple state.

In example case, residence was in Delhi and property in Haryana.
As per Haryana’s rules, you can’t register POA if you dont have residence address proof. So, we did it in Delhi and they accepted it.

Your case sounds similar and I would suggest to register in the state where your father has residence address proof.
In case they deny, you can then approach the registry office in the other state.