Self Sworn Affidavit - living outside India for 5 years - passport renewal

Hi,
I have been living in the U.S for past 6 years but have my passport address as India address. I made a spelling error in my India address and in the CKGS application one document asked is - [Self Sworn Affidavit - This is to confirm that I have been / have not been (select whichever is correct) residing outside India continuously for more than Five years.]
Can you please put what document is needed for this? Also what address should I put in the affidavit since I dont permanently live in India (I am on H1B here).

10 Likes

A sample Self Sworn affidavit is available here for Indian passport renewal.

Or you can use this web app to create the Self Sworn affidavit online.

Hi Sukanya,
Did you got any solution for this query because i got same query from CKGS today.
what kind of document did you submit and got approved?
thanks.

I’m too in the same boat. Any luck with the whereabouts of the document to be sent? Appreciate the help.

Received below query from CKGS/

"Indian Address is missing in the Gov’t form. Please submit a self-sworn affidavit to confirm the last known address in India for Police Verification Report."

I requested to print US Address in my passport not sure why Indian address is requested.

Do you guys have any template for self-sworn affidavit to confirm the last known address.

Indian address is always required as you hold Indian passport.

You can give your parent’s or relatives Indian address by mentioning it on a plain piece of paper and then sign it. It will work as self-sworn affidavit.

1 Like

Thank you Anil for the prompt response. Do you know if we need to get the affidavit notarized ?

I applied for my son’s passport renewal at CKGS San Francisco and I got the status update:

Self sworn affidavit is required from the applicant to confirm that I have been / have not been (select whichever is correct) residing outside India continuously for more than Five years

We had requested that the US Address be printed in the passport application and this affidavit was not mentioned in the Checklist.

Any ideas as to what should be included in the affidavit? Just the above statement with my son’s and my signature? Is there any template that we should be using?

A sample Self Sworn affidavit is available here for Indian passport renewal.

Or you can use this web app to create the Self Sworn affidavit online.

have you been able to get thru as i m in a same boat too

Hello,

I had 2 queries-

1. For the Indian Address Self Sworn Affidavit, I wanted to confirm that the statement of continuously residing away from India, is in the present context. I have been residing away from India for more than 5 years in the past. But last year, I visited India. Therefore, in regards to the above question, I can say that I have NOT been residing outside of India continuously for more than 5 years. Please confirm.

2. I approached my bank for notarizing my documents. They gave me one notarized copy for two photocopy documents viz. address proof and legal status. Is that fine ?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, did you get the answer for your first point? I have the same query as yours. I too visited India once in last five years for 3 weeks.

Hi ,

I am applying for passport renewal, but the vfs global site gets errored out while trying to proceed to payment after selecting the courier services. The page says error while processing your request.

How can we reslove this issue

I am using my US address as my printable address. I understand that I have to submit the self sworn affidavit for the Indian address. I gave my father in-laws address in India as my alternate address in the passport form. Should I be putting that address in the SELF SWORN AFFIDAVIT FOR INDIAN ADDRESS with the police station or should I put my old Indian address there (there is currently no one residing at that address currently). The confusion is because in the form it mentions my last known address in India. Please help.

Hello All,

I need suggestion for filling affidavit and self sworn for Indian passport renewal.
VFS allow to download forms, however I was unable to see option to edit form online.
Please suggest, if forms need to be filled manually or is there way to edit above mentioned 2 forms online.
Any suggestion will be helpful.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Anil,

The Indian address we provide in Self Sworn affidavit. I heard we can give In laws or parent’s address. But do we need address proof on my name with that address? or not needed.

thanks

1 Like

Did you get answer. I have the same situation.

Hi, I have the same question. We can not submit handwritten forms but at the same time, I can not see an option to edit the form online.

Yeah exactly what’s the catch here ?
Seems like printing it and filling it and signing it by hand is the only option.

Yes, that’s an option. However, couple of forms have ‘space’ issue. So, i created the forms in Word Doc, filled all info and printed those.