Study Permit Approved - Can passport be stamped in different country?

I had applied for student permit from the US and it got approved and have been asked to submit my passport. Right now I am in India, can I submit my passport at the nearest VAC here? Anyone has any idea ?

Yes, you can. It is a fairly common practice to submit passport for stamping at a nearest VAC. Travel plans can come up anytime, so they will accommodate you. If you are in India, then it will be the nearest VFS office.

Note: It is still advisable to call the CIC contact center and clarify with them directly before going to the VAC.