USCIS FOIA Request for I-140 information (Sample G-639)

Hi @Srinivasan

There is no way to expedite the FOIA request.

Hi @External

You can use the i140 receipt that USCIS has given you for filing your H1B transfer. They usually do not issue/share the approval copy.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Port Old employer PERM PD date when i140 was never filed

Hello Anil,

I have a question. Do we still need to fill form G-639 , get our identification notarized and send it to USCIS for online FOIA request submitted through FIRST website ? Or these are not mandatory for online FOIA requests for I140 copy.

Hi @ravi2405

If you follow online process, then follow the online instructions. I am not sure how it works.

@Anil.Gupta Status of my FOIA request for I-140 information shows completed in FIRST website but document section does not show anything other than acknowledge letter which I initially got ~10 days filing my request. I have seen someone in the discussion face similar issue not sure if he got his documents.

Can someone help me understand further on what is going on.

Hi @nkn19

You can reach out to USCIS and ask for the document. It seems that many people face this same issue and it is most probably an issue with the FIRST website.

Calling USCIS will help.

Hi @140guy

I am not sure if 1 week is enough until they have finished working on your request.

A post was split to a new topic: Is approved 797 copy of i140 required for porting PD date or just copy of i140 is sufficient?

Thanks for this post, I have applied FOIA for I-140 through online on 09/10/2019 and Completed on 10/19/2019.
Steps are very easy and straight forward, just few forms to fill,
I have provided passport number and I-94 number and did not provide receipt number as I don’t have it, At the end of the application I uploaded only notarized passport(including h1b visa page, Notarized only first page) and notarized driving license.

The initial request has been created on the portal with REQXXXXXX number and in a week request number got changed to NRCXXXXXX, and on the same day, I see an acknowledgement letter saying - I have the requested only for i-140 and its been put under track 1 of multitracking system.

Intially, I see the status as “Files Requested”, and then in around 10 to 15 days, I see the status as “Files has been received from NRC” and case status has been changed to something like - “In review”.

I see the pending requests changes everyday soemthing like 3450 of 3675, 3350 of 3600, 3250 of 3600, … till it reaches 1900 of 3450.
on 10/19/2019 my request has been completed and I see the i-140 petitiion in document library section.

2 Likes

Hi Anil,

Could you please let me know if I am raising request for 140 through Online portal, do I need to upload Notarised copies of Passport, Visa Copy and DL or is it sufficient if I just fill the i94 and the Passport number. Kindly advise.

Thanks.

Hi @YesJay
You should upload notarized copies as a proof if you are seeing an option to upload documents.

Hello Abhi,

Thank you for the post. Nice to hear that you received I-140 petition copy.

My I-140 got approved in September 1st week and after 3 weeks I have created a case on USCIS to get I-140 petition copy but I did not get any information they told that they did not find any documents and case is closed. My employer did not shared the I-140 receipt number.

Request you to let me know that how long you have waited after I-140 approval before requesting documents from USCIS.

Also help me on the below details if possible while creating case online from uscis it will ask for below details.

1. Purpose of request
  2. Information about family members required?
  3. Last page system will ask for “Describe the records you are seeking”
    Do we need select I-140 option only or any option needs to select including I-140 ?

It would be very helpful if you provide valuable information.

Thank you in Advance.

Hi venkat,

In my case, after an year I have applied, not sure why you have got that reply.

1. Purpose of request — for porting the priority date and future enployment.
  2. Information about family members required? - I haven’t provided.
  3. Last page system will ask for “Describe the records you are seeking”
    Do we need select I-140 option only or any option needs to select including I-140 ? – only i-140.

Good luck

2 Likes

Hi @abhi1,

Thank you for the kind response.

I will try to apply in the next month. Thank you for the details.

hey @nkn19 - Did you get your documents later on? I am in the same boat and don’t see the 140 document either.

Hi @nkn19 / @YesJay,

Did you find out how to get the documents?
I am in same situation, not sure how to download the documents. My case status shows Completed in USCIS FIRST portal but couldn’t find any documents except acknowledgement letter.

Please help.

Hi Veera,

I called the helpline number and also sent an email to USCIS. Both of them didnt resolve the issue. I didn’t have any other choice but to raise a new request and hoping this time they upload the document after ‘completion’ stage.

Hi,

I raised FOIA request onlline.

Did you find out how to get the documents? My case status shows Completed in USCIS FIRST website and I am trying to register case using pin that I received in acknowledge letter but I am not unable login using that pin. getting error as “Unable to register Case. Please make sure case number and pin entered correctly.”

Does anyone know how to reset the pin. Can someone help me to see if I am doing anything wrong.

Also, how can I check if I have chosen electronic option or mail option?

will USCIS send an hardcopy as well?

Please help

In case of online FOIA, your case will be registered by default and you see that registered case in portal and get the acknowledge letter, meaning you don’t need to explicitly register the case by using PIN. The acknowledge letter is just for your reference and you don’t need to do anything with acknowledge letter and PIN.

Initially your registered cases status is “Submitted”, then it will change something like - “Files Requested”, “In review”, “Completed” .

Once status is completed, you should see the documents requested in Document library section.

1 Like