Visit Visa Extension Query

Dear Member,

I am a Canadian Permanent Resident and my husband lives in the U.S. I keep visiting my husband frequently through air and land. I entered into the U.S. on Nov 26th, 2019 through Toronto airport (TOR), my I-94 Admit Until Date was “May 25th, 2020”, and left back to Canada on Dec 15th, 2019 through Boston Airport (BOS). Again, I traveled into the U.S. on Dec 24th, 2019 through Buffalo land port (RBB), my I-94 Admit Until Date was NOT updated by the officer at the port of entry as it was land port, and left back to Canada on Dec 27th, 2019 through Buffalo exit (410). The third and latest time, I traveled back into the U.S. on March 7th, 2020 through Buffalo land port (RBB), my I-94 Admit Until Date was NOT updated again by the officer at the port of entry. I was in the assumption that my admit got updated and was valid for another 6 months from March 7th, 2020, which would be Sept 6th, 2020, and I applied for an extension I-539 with USCIS on July 9th, 2020 (received Recipt Number).

Now, I was informed to reach out to Customs and Broder Protection to rectify or update the admission “until” date till Sept 6th, 2020 from May 25th, 2020. CBP replied stating that the i94 can not be updated now, should only be done while entering the country and it’s a good thing that I applied for an extension and that I will only have to wait for the result of my application.

So far, I didn’t receive any reply from USCIS on my application. However, I submitted a letter later requesting a further extension until June 2021 due to current border conditions.

I need to know if my stay is legal here in the U.S? And how long the USCIS takes time for processing the application for a visit extension? It’s already been close to 10 months that I filed for the extension.
Should I be filing for a new extension application if I don’t receive any reply from USCIS?

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Which specific visit visa are you using? Is it B2 visa?

What is the most recent i94 date you are seeing on CBP i94 website?

Usually, the land border does not issue a new i94 if your last one is still valid.

Also, you should keep applying the extension every 6 months to maintain the status.