Add Customer - Last Name not accepting more than 13 characters

I am trying to create an application in VFS website and it takes me to an add/create customer screen where I have to enter details as in current passport. My last name(surname) as per passport is ‘Prabhakaran Nair’ which is 16 charaters long. When I enter that and click submit, I get an error saying that max allowed characters for last name is 13. Anyway to get around this? I even tried to submit with a short last name and tried to edit it to the correct one, but no luck. I don’t want to shorten the last name which will result in a mismatch between application and my passport.

Any help with this is highly appreciated.

Hello, I am having the same issue with my last name. Any luck in resolving this issue?

Hi PMG/Arthy,
I am facing same issue with my surname to fill in the application for new passport.

Pls let me know if you found any solution.

I opened a query with VFS and got the below response.

“We understand that you are facing an issue on the VFS website. Please be informed that if you are not able to enter your full name while registering on the VFS website, then you may mention the name as less than 13 characters and you may write a cover letter stating the scenario, why you have entered the short-name, and mentioned that this is a technical issue on the VFS website.Please note that you may include a cover letter while submitting the application and documents to the VFS Application Center.”

I followed what they suggested and included a cover letter with all the details. I got passport issued successfully with no issues. Hope this helps

Hi,
I am having similar issue with my last name when trying to add myself to apply for renunciation on vfs website. Is the route of using a cover letter still valid??
Were others here able to resolve the issue the same way?
How long aftee starting a query did vfs get back to you please?

Surprisingly they still haven’t resolved the issue which is a simple IT fix. :person_shrugging:

Thanks!!!

Hi Sharath,
I am having the same issue and the Renunciation certificate is also auto populating with partial last name.
were you able to resolve the issue with VFS?
I am not sure as partial last name may invalidate the Renunciation certificate itself and VFS also may deny. Unsure what to do next.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Ganesh

Resolving the issue with morons at VFS never happens.
For them it is all about making the life of customers hard as possible when the fix is easy for them on their system. Yes i too did run into this issue. Didn’t realize till I entered all the information and got to the end when the renunciation certificate was taking my last name only upto 13 characters as it would when registering a customer on their website at the start of all this nonsense. Even though you enter all the information for Indian passport where they ask the last name it is still short like you have seen on the final certificate. I mean if it accepts the characters at one place why not the other. Freaking tool bags!!!

On trying to get a clear answer to this issue here is the response I got from them -

Please be informed that if you are not able to enter your full name while registering on the VFS website, then you may mention the name as less than 13 characters and you may write a cover letter stating the scenario, why you have entered the short-name, and mentioned that this is a technical issue on the VFS website.

Please note that you may include a cover letter while submitting the application and documents to the VFS Application Center.

Moreover, you may download the renunciation certificate and manually correct the details: https://www.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/india/united-states-of-america/renunciation-of-indian-citizenship/pdf/renunciation-certificate-fillable-form.pdf

So when I saw that the final renunciation certificate is bleep show and you cannot edit what they email you, I entered all the info on this PDF link as the version they provided and printed it out. Keep in mind when you input the dates as per Indian format, dd/mm/yyyy the form shows it in the US format (mm/dd/yyyy). No matter what you do it goes that way. This was quite the opposite to the certificate version they email you which is as per Indian format. I am not sure why it was doing so or if it mattered but you can change it on PDF by going to tools, prepare form and right clicking the box you want to fix, then properties. You can change font size to fit long names or date and even the date format. So I did that and entered the information. Will see what happens when I send it in and what these inept morons say. Pretty sure they are going to give me a hard time, but oh well after this bleep show I am never going to need them for anything.

Good luck!!!

I stand corrected, actually you can edit the PDF renunciation certificate they email you.
Just tried it on my work computer and you can edit the PDF if you have the right software and add your missing last name characters.

Wohoooooo, so they were correct to some extent. But i would still not excuse them for not fixing this crappy system of their. Just my personal opinion.

Good luck buddy!!!