Application Rejected - Wrong Jurisdiction

I know it is so annoying and frustrating. I just hope they send my documents back soon. It has already been 2 days since rejection.

Hi Narayanan, Did you received your documents back to your home?

So you got your documents back with in 2 days? Also did you re-applied? if so, did you used the same Notary docs?

Yes. Received the documents along with the old passport within 2-3 days of the rejected email. They will also provide you with a tracking number. I did reapply again registering with a new username and the correct jurisdiction. I wasn’t sure with the old notarized documents so had to notarize again. They said they will refund the money back in the rejected email and also submitted a request twice but no action was taken.

Hello,

I’m from NC as well and received the rejection email today and they have already dispatched my application. Could you please let me know more on how you were able to resolve your issue? The whole process has been so frustrating that I can’t even begin to explain. Thank you.

Hello, how were you able to resolve this issue? I’m in the same boat. Do they fully refund our money? This has got to be the most frustrating thing I’ve ever done in my whole life. I’m glad to be an American.

Here’s a clear response to this question.

You need to go to 2 websites to complete the application process - Passport Seva and VFS Global.

When you are creating a passport seva account make sure you pick the right jurisdiction. What is sad is that they don’t guide the applicants on how to pick the right jurisdiction based on our permanent address. I guess that’s where most of us faltered.

If your application is already rejected then you need to create a new account and then start over. They will do partial refund, so you’ll end up losing roughly $50.

This process is ridiculous, don’t beat yourself over it.

Can someone clarify it this worked for any of you. I see there is not jurisdiction to select in the government form and in the VFS website i’ve selected new york and hence the shipping labels. I’m not sure what the problem is here.

i did the same mistake by selecting wrong jurisdiction and i got to know that soon before sending my documents so i have all the documents with me so i can apply a new application right ?? or should i wait till my old application gets rejected please do help me with this thank you

Can you please confirm, how did you resolve this. I have got the same rejection error and i live in NC only, under that i had filled the Washington DC.

THANK YOU!!!

We inadvertently used our “SEVA” account, registered over 3 years ago, under the jurisdiction of the Indian Consulate General New York, for prior services.

Having RELOCATED to another state, under a different jurisdiction, covered by a different Indian Embassy/Consulate, it apparently appears to have triggered a mismatch of jurisdictions and we got the current PP re-issue application REJECTED.

Lesson learned.

A new account will be set up afresh, using the current jurisdiction, and resubmitted.

Fingers crossed!

The SEVA platform sure could use a bit of a UX improvement which guides applicants to create a NEW account whenever their US address changes to a US State that is not under the jurisdiction of their previous SEVA account(s).

It is unfortunate that currently, there appears to be no easy way to tell as to what jurisdiction an applicant selected at the time of registration for a previously established account in the Indian SEVA system.

@daniel_ashish
On the day I was gonna post my document package to the embassy, I observed the same issue. Now that I have already paid over 300$ for tatkal processing, I am not sure what to do.
How were you able to resolve this? Did you have to create a new application and pay the whole fee again? or was the embassy able to transfer the application to the correct embassy?

Greetings Mrs Shetty,
I see that your application got resolved. Somehow, I am also facing the rejection in 2024. Can you help me guide and overcome this scenario?
I got an error like this when I selected the Jurisdiction as DC and I am from NC.

1. Ineligible/Rejection Reason : Wrong Jurisdictions you selected

Hi ashish, I am having the same issue. I got the rejection saying like this.
Ineligible/Rejection Reason: Wrong Jurisdiction.
I am currently residing in NC and applied to Washington DC Jurisdiction and got this.

Can you help me with the next Steps on how to proceed further?

Hi Sairam

I am charlotte,NC, and the jurisdiction it showed by default washington DC area , and now its been rejected and today i am getting my passport n documents delivered . Do we get refund for this ? i paid 300+ for tatkal. My company applied for my H1 now i am worried if this expired passport will allowed in lottery or not.

Do we need to create new application with new email and selecting jurisdiction as New york will help?

Guys who ever got resolved please help with instructions dont want to waste bomb 300$ again without knowing exact jurisdiction details.

Please confirm , even i am from NC location and got rejected with WJ and got my passport back.

is income tax return form is accepted as address proof ? income tax return form is black and white. how to get color copy and notarize it?

They check your US address proof and then try to find the Indian embassy’s jurisdiction.

If your US address proof has a different jurisdiction than what you selected, they may reject the application.

1 Like

They rejected my application due to the same reason “wrong jurisdiction”. I made a fresh application, selected correct jurisdiction and checked my form 20 times, I paid the fees 2nd time, it is still in wrong jurisdiction.
The fault is with passport seva portal website, it is so annoying. I created another email ID and new account, they told me to create new email id and create new account again, then it might be corrected. VFS SUCKS! they only refund half of the money. its been over 6 months, so difficult to navigate it, and you pay 2.5$ per min to contact VFS . Money sucking agency