Attestation of PoA at Indian Consulate in USA Questions & Answers

Originally published at:

7 Likes

Hi Anil,

CGI Houston mentioned: If the applicant presents himself/herself in person at the Consulate, the Original and a photocopy of the Power of Attorney must be submitted. It is reiterated that no notarization is necessary in such cases. The applicant can self attest.

That’s point. 6 at CGI Houston Miscellaneous Services > Attestation of Power of Attorney, under Required Documents

Does that mean 2 witnesses no longer needed for POA attestation? Please clarify.

1 Like

Witness is required for POA by Indian law. If you do not get witness now, you will be asked to get 2 witness in India at the time of registration of POA.

Hi Anil, Thanks a lot for your post. It’s really helpful.
I have few additional questions. Kindly take some time to answer them:

1. I am currently in Boston, planning to send POA documents to parents in India.
    It is mentioned in the New York CGI site as below Welcome to Consulate General of India, New York (USA) ,
    It is not mandatory that the apostilled documents should be attested by the Consulate officials before presenting it to authorities in India .

Does that mean I can either get the POA documents apostilled or attested to be later registered in India? Or is it required to apostile POA document before sending by post for attestation in New York CGI

1. Due to the current covid scenario, if I am not able to get the signature of 2 witnesses notarized in USA then,
    a. Will the New York CGI attest the POA without the signature of 2 witnesses ?
    b. Do I need to be physically present in India, If my parents get signature of 2 witnesses while registration of POA in INDIA ?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Saikat_Banerjee

I have answered these questions earlier here on truvisa.com.

Thanks @Anil.Gupta . Please take some time to answer the second question as below:

Due to the current covid scenario, if I am not able to get the signature of 2 witnesses notarized in USA then,
a. Will the New York CGI attest the POA without the signature of 2 witnesses ?
b. Do I need to be physically present in India, If my parents get signature of 2 witnesses while registration of POA in INDIA ?

Thanks again!

NY embassy should attest POA without witness signature.

You don’t need to be present but the POA holder will be required for witness signature in India.

Hi Anil,

Thanks for the details posted. My POA has 4 pages details and only the last page has " Witness and Executant" signature option. Question

1. Do I need to sign every page of the document and notarized or signing only last page is sufficient
  2. Similarly witness signature does it need to be signed in every page

I am applying via Postal mode hence these questions. Appreciate your input

Thanks
Prem

@Saikat_Banerjee … is your POA completed ??

I also have question on NY embassy.

1. Do we need to send original passport ? I submitted query in PRAMIT portal and they said due to covid i can send notarize copy of passport. but Just want to confirm what you did.
  2. Do we need to apostilled ?? before or after or not required ?

Hi Anil

What type of Prepaid Envelop they accept ? As per Current guidelines they are asking to send a Prepaid Envelop ? When can I get them ?

Regards
Rakesh

i did it in October.

Doesn’t matter which type of envelope. as long as it has return paid label and can hold your documents.

i just used legal size envelope and in that placed documents and a prepaid small envelope. so they did attestation and put docs back in small envelope.

i hope it helps.

1 Like

Thanks Parivesh.

Small q, when you said prepaid small envelope, I believe they want trackable Prepaid Envelope, did you get from UPS/ USPS / Fedex?

Regards
Rakesh Naik

Trackable or not is your choice. Embassy just want a envelope as prepaid so that they can just place documents in it and post back to you.

yes i used usps, if you ask USPS counter guy and ask that you want to send a prepaid envelope, they know what to do.

1 Like

Thanks Parivesh.

One last question, NY consulate page mention says
On each document to be attested, applicant will mention “I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONTENTS OF THE DOCUMENT ”. After that applicant will put his full name and signature (as per passport) on each document submitted for attestation

Did you have to mention above on Power of Attorney ?

Regards
Rakesh

i didn’t put that on my poa document as that was mentioned for documents which are getting attested as a copy like bank statement or pan card

in case of poa its original document which is getting attested.

that’s my understanding.

Hi Parivesh,

Thanks for your guidance. I got the POA attested from consulate. One quick question, does it need to be registered for buying property purpose? Can it be used as it is in registration office? any idea?

Regards
Rakesh

Better will be to check with a local lawyer and specially who can confirm it with the registrar of your property jurisdiction area.

As far as i know you, basic requirement it needs to be notarized on 500 stamp in india because both parties are not available to registrar office for poa registration…

but i heard in some states needs it to be registered…and at place of picture and sign both will be of person present.

I’m in USA and I need to do PoA for my brother (In India). Due to Covid I need to send (No In-Person meeting) documents at Atlanta Consulate. I understand that I need to send Passport along with the photocopy, but I’m curious to know if I I need to send Original : Driver License and Green Card? Thank You!

For passport, submit a query bcz in NY in guidelines they mentioned to send passport but after submitting query to confirm, they asked to send only copies of it but notriazed.

Should be same for DL or GC. Submit query in consulate portal.

Hi @Saikat_Banerjee ,
Did you manage to get POA, Did you notarize the documents first with witness and sent it to consulate by post ?

-Rama