Canada Visa Application from USA for H1b holder with expired H1B stamping but approved 797

My H1B stamping on Passport was till Aug 2020, though I have my 797 approved till 2023. Just that I haven’t been able to visit India to get my passport re-stamped. I need to apply for Canada Visitor visa, hence my question is whether the Canadian officer would need a non-expired H1B stamped on my passport or an approved 797 form is enough to show my legal stay in USA while applying for Canadian visitor visa from USA.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

1 Like

I-797 will serve the purpose. A valid visa is required to enter the US however in your case you can use AVR to enter back to the US from Canada.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for such quick response. I am planning to get my H1B stamped actually in Canada. So, hopefully should have the H1B stamped till 2023 as well.

@Arijit_Kumar were you able to get a canada visitor visa even with an expired H1B stamp?

1 Like

I am in the same situation. Don’t know whether to apply or not. @Arijit_Kumar Could you share your experience.

Hi Kalpesh, we are living in USA. My husband has H1B approved till 2025 (I797). He needs to travel to India next year summer. He is thinking of travelling to canada to get his stamping and come back to USA. So that he can travel to India next year.
Could you please provide some link/reference on how to get visa appointment in Canada to get his stamping done?

Nonimmigrants in the United States–Applying for Visas in Canada or Mexico.