Damaged Passport Renewal

Damaged Passport Renewal

Hello everyone,

My Indian passport is expiring in 24th Sep 2024 and I have to travel to India urgently on 8th Feb, returning on 30th March (within 6 months validity). In addition, I have a H1B stamping dropbox appointment on 14th Feb. I had applied for tatkal passport renewal at San Francisco consulate but was rejected with passport binding damaged reason. The binding is intact and no other bio pages have any damage.

Application for damaged passport renewal under Tatkal is not allowed.

Seeking help to know possible options:

Option 1 - Start a new application for damaged passport and send the documents as soon as I receive the passport back (probably by 11th Jan) and hope I get back the re-issued passport (under normal, damaged category) before my travel date on 8th Feb.

Option 2 - Go to India with the current passport, get the H1B stamped on the current passport and once the stamping is completed, apply for renewal of passport in India itself and hope I get back the re-issued passport before my travel date back on 30th March. (Although, I am not sure if they flag the damaged passport anywhere impacting my travel and H1b stamping with the current passport).

Option 3 - Just move the return date prior to 24th March and have 6 months validity upon return. (Again, not sure if any flag in the system to impact this)

Travel date - Feb 8th
H1B dropbox - Feb 14th

Seeking suggestions and guidance around this as I am confused and stressed regarding this. Really appreciate the help!

Option 2 looks optimal. Renewal in India is easier, quicker and cheaper, with fewer documents needed.

However, you know your situations the best. You will have to decide on your own.