Do we pay for biometric again if B1/B2 extension is applied again within 3 months due to Coronavirus

Hi Anil,
I have to apply for 2nd time extension for B1/B2 visa , since the first extension we requested is only for 3 months which is going to expire by May 1st week. I thought to sent a letter to change the date by few more months after the lockdown got extended in india, but the extension approval came by suddenly and now i have to apply for another extension looks like since the flight got cancelled and lockdown is extended and I94 is going to expire by may 2nd which came via extension approval.

Sorry for too many questions but confused how to proceed. Appreciate your responses and the help you do to the community.

1. if we can get the flight by a week later after i94 expiry , is it ok to overstay a week or so and not apply for extension again ? Do you suggest to apply extension again with biometric fee ?

Or

1. can we send a letter kind of thing saying to extend for 3 more months , since in first extension i only requested for 3 months beyond original 6months or call uscis and explain the situation?

2. Can a person stay more than yr continuously on B2 visa? How much duration a person can sty on B2 visa considering the situations here. Its already going to be 9 months in our case by may, so we can only extend for 3 more months ?

3. Do i have to pay for biometric again if extension had to be applied , even if the biometric was given during the first time extension applied 3 months back.

I don’t suggest to have overstay of even 1 day extra. This can be bad for future visa applications and future entry to US.

No, you cannot send any letter to extend the B2 stay. You have to file a new i539 application.

If you cannot travel due to Coronavirus closures, then there is no other way than to apply the extension before i94 expiry. Apply for 6 month extension. You did the right thing by applying for 3 month extension though.

Usually, the recommended max term is 6 months for B2 visitors. But, during this unprecedented COVID-19 situation, there are no other options available but to keep staying in US as long as the life threat is not over.

Yes, you have to pay for biometric again. Its required with each new i539 application.

Hi @Anil.Gupta , Thanks for responding. Since i have already extended for 3 months beyond the initial 6 months , should i just extend for 3 more months only , so the entire duration would be 1 yr of stay. Or can i go ahead and request for 6 more months to avoid another extension if lock down restrictions are not over by then ?

Our tickets were already cancelled by airlines and could able to reschedule the tickets for June 1st week though , but not sure if the lock-down and travel restrictions will be over by then.

Also , since the lockdown extension decision was made on april 15 and our flight travel got cancelled by airlines only last week, will it be any problem resulting in denial of extension if we apply now , since only one week left for i-94 expiry. I heard that we need to apply atleast 45 days before.

Please suggest.

Its your choice to choose the next extension term.

I think it is better to apply for 6 months keeping in mind the Coronavirus closures.

Hi @Anil.Gupta , one last question. When my parents arrived their initial I-94 is valid till Feb 5, 2020. with the extension which i already applied in december, we got new I-94 with the extension approval which is valid from Feb 6,2020 to May 4, 2020.

Since i am applying for another extension , During online submission of Extension it is asking for "What is your I-94 Arrival-Departure Record Number?"

So which one should i fill it with . the latest one came with Extension or the old one which we got from CBP website ?

Thank you.

Whenever you apply extension, you have to enter most recent i94 information.

Hi Anil,
Need your urgent advise.
Can I apply for a 2nd extension after I receive an approval from my 1st extension application?

Update I got approved with my extension but will probably apply for another extension and will attach my new approval documents on my 2nd application.
Arrived US March 2. 2020
Valid stay: Sept 1 2020

Applied July 17 2020
*Extension from September 2020 to March 2 2021

Biometrics notice January 9 2021
Biometrics Schedule February 4 2021
Case Decision Notice February 9 2021
NEW I94 VALID until March 2 2021

Please advise.

Do you have any update on your 2nd application of extension?

Did you get approved on your 2nd extension application?

I applied for my mothers B2 extension and never received a biometric notice in Mail and we missed the appointment. and last date to contact them regarding this was 15th April and now when I try using the contact link it is saying that the Receipt number is not valid. So what are the options available for me to proceed further? Will I be able to apply again or will they be rescheduling the missed appointment? her 6 month period ended on march 3oth 2021.Please advise

Have you applied another extension before the requested 6 month extension period ended?

Yes I did applied for extension on march 5th. her 6 month period ended on march 30th. and biometrics was schudled for april 8th but we never recieved the letter in mail. and in case status it is specified to look till april 15th for the letter if not recieved by then we can request it using the provided link. so on 16th i tried using that link to request another letter there when I entered the reciept # it said that is invalid.

You can try again. Sometimes their system does not recognize the receipt number but as long you are have got it from USCIS, receipt numbers is valid.

Hi All -

I am in a similar situation Or even worst.

Quick Background:

1. Parents Reached US in Dec 2019
  2. Due to COIVD - Applied for 1st Extension - May 2020(45 days prior to their I-94 expiry)
  3. Due to worsening of situation and non-availability of Vaccine, we applied for 2nd Extension - Nov 2020(Before requested extension date)
  4. Parents got their vaccine shots in Mar-Apr 2021, booked their return tickets for 22nd April
  5. Flights to Bangalore(from Doha, were Cancelled due to situation in Bangalore, India) and they could not travel. Have RT-PCR test conducted 72hrs prior to travel as proof.
  6. Forced to apply for 3rd Extension due to the situation in Bangalore, India and limited availability of flights. Planning to file it during next week(week of 24th May 2021)

FYI - Both of my parents fall under high risk category and have a certificate from our doctor from India. Have produced that as documentary proof for filing extension.

Please recommend how to proceed. We are left with no other option.

What is your exact question here?

Hi @anil_am22

Here are my questions.

1. Can we file for a 3rd extension? Are there any implications for extending their stay beyond first extension?
  2. If we can proceed with 3rd extension, do we file through an attorney? Is it going to benefit us in anyway?

Thanks and Regards,
MSP

Also as a side note: we haven’t got approval on their 1st and 2nd extensions. However they both got their Biometrics appointment for both extensions filed.

You can file for extension if you think they cannot travel and have convincing reason to prove it.

Thanks @anil_am22 for your inputs;

We are proceeding with their extension.

1 Like

Hi Dev, can you help me with the B2 visa extension process for my mother, I hv the following questions.

1. What documents did you submit?
  2. I am just submitting the i539 form / I94/ prospective Itinerary/ bank statement of india for my moms acc/ explanation letter for extension/ old and new passport copies.
    3 . I am
    Filing online so the signature will be not be hand written ( any suggestions) ?