Getting spouse skills assessment positive

Hi Anil,

I have filed my EOI as a software engineer on 7th July 2019 with 70 points. It increased to 75 points automatically on 25th Sept when my work experience points were added. My points will in turn increase to 80 points after I claim points for my spouse competent english on 16th Nov. My first question would be what would my chances be for 189 or 190 visa (85 points) and when could I expect an invite?

My 2nd question is the main one regarding if there is anyway I could claim spouse skills points. My wife is a MA in English Literature. She worked in a school as well for 22 months back in India as a primary school teacher. Also, after coming here to Australia, she has done a Cert 3 in a childcare course here and is currently working in a childcare since Aug 19. Is there anyway I could get positive assessment for her skills ?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Positive skills assessment can be achieved only when someone’s education and work experience are in same field.

Also, your spouse’s job code should fall in same occupation list as primary applicant.

You have good chance of invite with 80 points.

Thanks Anil… That was really helpful… Any approx time of arrival of EOI from your experience ?

Hi @Anil.Gupta

Just to give u a background, I have filed my EOI as a software engineer on 7th July 2019 with 70 points. It increased to 75 points automatically on 25th Sept when my work experience points were added.
My points in turn increased to 80 points today automatically for 189 and I did NOT claim points for my spouse competent english (which I was thinking I would do today). When I opened the points breakdown for EOI, it was showing 5 points been awarded for “Partner Qualifications - Unskilled partner”.
Is this correct ? Do I need to still update my EOI with my partner’s competent english score ?

Hi @Abhirup_Mazumder,

I had the same concern but when I checked my EOI, there was a question "Does the partner hold a valid passport and is a citizen of one of the following countries: USA, UK, Canada, Ireland or New Zealand? " , It was set to ‘Yes’ automatically, but actually in my case, it should be ‘No’.

So I updated it to ‘No’, and then the options to enter the partner’s English score popped up.

In short, check the details in the partner section is correct or not, if not you need to update it.

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Tha k’s for the detailed info. Just one more question… will updating the pre test results for my wife’s competent english make a change to my EOI date ?

Thanks and Regards
Abhirup

Hi @Abhirup_Mazumder,

Yes, there a new updated EOI date that is being shown in my EOI.

Regards,
Tom

I guess EOI has given you the points. I still suggest to update the English score to be on safe side.

Hi Anil,

But the problem is that if I update my wife’s pte score, then EOI date too gets updated which pushes me back into the long queue.
Currently my EOI date is 7th July. If I do not update my wife’s score, then will it create problems during verification process?

Its your choice to update or not. But, all your claims should be supported by paper proofs.
Also, note that your proofs will be validated only after you have got invite and then paid the filing fees.

So, its your risk if you want to wait till that point. It will be a big risk as per my opinion as the fees is non-refundable.

Thanks Anil … i have updated it now…

Hi Tom,
I too had the same issue like yours and I did similar changes like you. Thanks for your help.

With regards
Abhirup

1 Like

Hi,

I have a PhD in biology and I am applying as a primary. My wife has a bachelors in Electronics and work experience in Database. So our education and skills are different. Can we claim spouse skills points (5 points) even though our fields are different? (However both our skills are in “Australia PR SkillSelect Job Occupation List 2020” list). Also in order to claim spouse skills do we need to do ACS assessment?

Thanks,
Vijay

Hello Vijay,

If your wife appears for PTE/IELTS and gets a competent score, 5 points can be claimed. If she gets positive assessment from ACS, you will get 5 points extra for that too. Both are separate.

Also you can claim for Skill assessment if both skills are available for 189/190.

Hi Ratheesh,

Thank you for answering my questions.

Best.
Vijay

1 Like