Guideline for visa interview waiver 2024 for renewal of H1B

Hi,

Is there a notice or guideline for visa interview waivers - dropbox in early 2024? My visa expired this month and extension is valid for 2023-2026. While filling out the visa appointment, it asks questions for an interview waiver and prompts the applicant to choose the OFC venue. There’s no specific detail on the visa confirmation page while selecting the date (Jan 2024). The application also mentions that you could drop the documents at any of the five embassies as H1Bs are currently being processed only in Chennai and Hyderabad.

Thank you!

Did you check Dropbox rules with the Dropbox app? The app uses the current rules and gives you the result.

NOTE: App has been developed by AM22Tech

Thanks Anil. The dropbox app is pretty cool. Shows a dropbox in my case for Jan 2024.

1 Like

@anil_am22

I tried Drop Box app it says I qualify for drop box. However, my most recent H1b Visa expired in 2016. Its more than 48 months. How does I qualify based on new rule ?

Do you have a previous U.S. visa in any visa class issued on or after your 14th birthday and my prior visa is still valid or expired within the last 48 months? NO
Was your most recent U.S. visa lost, stolen, canceled, revoked, or marked CWOP? NO
Have you ever been refused a U.S. visa before? NO
Was your most recent U.S. visa issued after January 1, 2008? YES

Unfortunately, you wouldn’t qualify as per new rules starting CY2024.

I am on H1B visa and my most recent H1B visa expired in 2016. On Dec 12 2023, I qualify for dropbox appointment so I got an appointment for Feb 2024. I have drop box confirmation letter. However, now new rule says that most recent visa should be valid or expired within last 48 months. But in my case it was expired in 2016.

Is my drop box appointment is valid after the new rule since I got this appointment in Dec 2023 ?

Yes, the existing appointments secured before 01st Jan, 2024 should be valid as per rules applicable on that day.

The only catch is: they may mention that all conditions need to be satisfied as per new rule on the day of appointment.

I would suggest to reach out to support team for more details and confirmation.

1 Like