H1B - Dropbox - Hyderabad - Admin processing Full time job

Hi Anil,

I need your experience and guidance to understand the situation I am currently in. Appreciate your time and help in this regard.

Below is the timeline and additional information.
I have been with the same company for the last 6+ years. This is the 3rd time with same company, same visa. It’s a FTE and no client work and is a Product based company. I haven’t got any 221g for the last 2 times and this time also until now.

Dec 24: Dropped documents
Dec 27: case created
Jan 2: Administrative Processing
Jan 3 - 4PM: Application Received (why this status changed back to received?)
Jan 3 - 4:30PM: Administrative Processing
No further update after that.

I was told that these days, some cases are randomly selected for additional background check and/or technology clearance by department of state, which can take ~2wks and for some cases it can take more than 2 weeks. Mine is already 2 weeks passed, still haven’t received any status update.

Few questions:

1. Are there cases with being in Dropbox for more than 2 weeks in AP?
  2. How do I know if I have missed any email update or phone call to submit any additional documents without interview?
  3. How do I know if they call for interview: only through email that passport ready for pickup and ceac website status still shows Administrative Processing.

I have also seen there are cases waiting for more than 2 months.

Thanks a lot for any insight on these items from your experiences.

I have return flight tonight from Hyderabad. Not sure even if visa is issued today, whether I can pick passport and leave tonight.

Thanks.

Hi @vassankvss

Three weeks is normal processing time these days and i usually recommend people to keep a buffer of 3-4 weeks.

US embassy will contact you via email and you have to make sure you don’t miss it.

Keep checking your spam folder. If you use gmail, then you are fine as gmail is smart enough to identify important vs junk email.

The call for interview will be made by explicitly returning your passport.

Unfortunately, there is no way to expedite this processing.

Just make sure that you have not received an email to submit DS 5535 form.

Hi Anil,

Thanks for prompt response. Is it common that, even after working for the same company for 6+ years and 3 h1b extensions are approved, 2 visa applications approved, you still see delays in visa applications?

Thanks.

Yes, this is happening for almost 50% of people.

This is because of the new USCIS rule where they treat each extension as a new application and not as extension now.

This basically means that your each application is evaluated as if it is the first H1B application.

Many people have received denials in their 10 th year extension too.

All this is probably a way to demotivate companies and people. But, we can’t do anything about it. It is what it is.

Thanks for the feedback. After you replied, I checked my Gmail SPAM and see that I got an email last monday to submit my Photo as previously submitted photo is not good.

I have been thinking I should at least get an email but I have been checking my phone email but never thought to check SPAM.
I used to check my SPAM previously but missed this time. I have return flight tonight.

Thanks again for pointing about SPAM. If I am careful, I would have saved my time and money.

No problem @vassankvss

Its good that you discussed here and we were able to discuss it. Sometimes, discussions trigger something important.

Let me know if you need more information.

Yes, it was helpful. I have couple more questions and would like to know if you had any previous experiences or knowledge from other people on this site.

1. As the consulate had sent email asking for new photo, should we assume there are no other documentation needed and ready for final processing? If they are needing further information, wouldn’t they ask along with photo email.
  2. If there are no other documents needed, how long further processing will take for issuing VISA.

Thanks.

Usually, the embassy asks for all documents in one attempt. But, there is no such guarantee.

The processing can be expected to be completed within a week once you have submitted the documents.

Hi ,

Could you let me know the email address of the consulate that ended up in Gmail SPAM ?
I’ve a habit of deleting the SPAM manually and am wondering if it’s the same for me too.

Thanks,
Deepak.

Email ID: HYDCEA@state.gov