H1B visa dropbox eligibility if visa expired more than 48 months ago

Hi everyone

My last visa was issued on the 1st of October 2013. The visa on my passport was valid until Sept 7th 2016. I have not visited India for 6 years now. I am trying to book a visa appointment. As far as I know, I am not eligible for a dropbox appointment as my visa did not expire in the last 48 months. But when I tried to schedule an appointment, I answered a few questions before the payment page appeared. There was no question related to the 48 months expiration date. US Travel docs showed that I am eligible for a dropbox appointment. Could you please help me clarify this please ? At this point of time, can a person whose visa expired in 2016 be eligible for dropbox ?

Thanks!

@anil_am22 Sorry to tag you. Do you know anything here please ?

Below is the update from state department.
You just need a US visa issued in past in any class to be eligible for IW, unbelievable right? :slight_smile:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/important-announcement-on-waivers-of-the-interview-requirement-for-certain-nonimmigrant-visas.html

1 Like

Thank you Kalpesh!
Does having a 221G in the past count as refusal. The 221G said visa refused until certain documents were provided. Once those docs were given we got the visa though. We have no annotations on the visa.

Can I answer as “No” for the previous visa refusal question that comes up when scheduling a visa appointment ?

The same link has these words

So I am guessing our initial refusal was overcome ?
"
Under this authority, consular officers have discretion to waive the visa interview requirement for individual petition-based H-1, H-3, H-4, L, O, P, and Q applicants who were previously issued any type of visa, and who have never been refused a visa unless such refusal was overcome or waived, and who have no apparent ineligibility or potential ineligibility
"

If it was approved after 221g you can answer ‘No’

I have the same question. My last US visa was valid till Jan 2018, which is beyond 48 months, and I have never received 221G.
While scheduling the appointment, I answered a few questions before the payment page, and it says I’m eligible for a dropbox appointment.
Can anyone from this group help me with this? Any help will be highly appreicated. Thanks!

Per the new policy valid till 31st Dec’22, you just need an approved US visa in past so you are all set.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/important-announcement-on-waivers-of-the-interview-requirement-for-certain-nonimmigrant-visas.html

1 Like

Hello, I’m in the same situation. My travel date is today and I have a dropbox appointment on Oct 6th. My stamped visa expired on Jul 2018. I’m so confused with this 48 months eligibility thing. Could you please let me know if I’m still eligible. Otherwise I’d need to cancel my trip today :frowning: :frowning:

Hi Vish, Did you get this resolved? I’m in the same boat and I’m traveling today. My stamped visa expired more than 48 months ago from the dropbox date. But still the system allowed me to book. Not sure about the eligibility now.

If system allowed dropbox that means you are eligible, not sure what the concern is about.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any updates. I plan to travel next year. Please share your experience after the process. Thanks!

@rajmathan @anonymous154 Can one of you please update what happened on each of your cases. I have stamping coming up in Sep 2023 and I have booked it in Oct 2022 when system said I am eligible for Interview waiver program my stamped visa expired on Dec 2016 and I have not travelled to India since 2015