H4 Dependent Passport validity less than 6 months

My daughter’s passport is expiring by Jan 1st week 2021 and her current H4 Visa is expiring around 2020 December. The Indian embassies are closed now and not taking applications for renewal.

My company is planning to file my H1B extension along with my Daughters H4 extension (passport expiring Jan 2021) as soon as possible in the month of May.

However, will the short term passport expiry impact the petition end date for her? Could you please clarify if the passport expiry has anything to do with the petition validity?

Do you recommend proceeding with the current passport or renew it before filing the extension? With the current situation, we don’t know when the embassy will start taking applications for renewal.

Please provide suggestions. Thanks

You can apply the extension now and if USCIS needs the new passport, they will send an RFE.

You can then submit the new passport if it has been renewed by that time.

1 Like

Thank you for the update Anil.

Someone has reported this on our WhatsApp group:

The Indian embassy is renewing passports but we have to be clear with the request. They initially responded via a generic mail but then we resent the email highlighting the emergency. it was renewed for my husband last week. They are taking roughly 2 weeks to send the new passport

Thanks Anil. Should we contact them via email? Instead of the ckgs application. Could you please clarify.

Thank you,

Leela

Yes, send an email first.

Can i have an update on this case…i am in similar situation