H4 EAD card was sent back to USCIS as the address was incorrect

Hi Anil.Gupta
I just received this update for my OPT - EAD case. “On August 26, 2020, the Post Office returned a notice we sent you for your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, Receipt Number XXXXXXXXXX, because they could not deliver it. This could have a serious effect on your case.”
Could you or anyone else advise me on what to do. I just sent an e-request and am wondering what the notice was about

Hi @tinkhani_mbichila

You have to check with your local USPS post office to know why the mail was not delivered.

Its not possible to guess the contents of the letter that USCIS sent.

Hi Anil,

I am also facing the similar issue.

I did the address change on Nov 16th and my case was approved on Dec 9th. We receive the approval notice on Dec 14th but the card returned uscis on Dec 26th(initial update for card has returned on Dec 16th) . But I requested the e-request on Dec 19th. Usually, how long does it take to get the card. Any suggestions on what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance

This might help:

My H4 EAD is expiring on 7/31. My employer is asking me to go on unpaid leave starting 8/1 until I get my new EAD card. Per my employers guidelines, I need to exhaust all my vacation leaves before they put me on leave of absence.

So I am planning to stop working on 7/31. However since I have 15days of vacation left, even though my leave of absence starts from 8/1.

I will still get pay check for 8/1-8/20 specifically mentioning that it is from my vacation and not from actual work that I am anyhow not doing. Am I okay getting such paycheck?

Thanks in advance!

If you can prove on paper that the paycheck is not related to real work in the future, then you are fine.

Hi @anil_am22 My wife’s H4 EAD renewal is approved but the we lost the CARD due to mail delivery issues. We have applied for replacement card which is still pending. Can she continue to work as technically she has approved Employment Authorization ?(with out receipt of replacement card). I read somewhere that it is possible ? But wanted to make sure if it’s legal?

1 Like

You won’t be able to start work unless you have the approved EAD card number.

Hi Anil What can I do if the card was sent back because of a mistake in address by USCIS. I received the approval notice at the correct address. What can I do since I have to join before June 15th other wise I will lose my job.

Make a phone call to USCIS to give them the correct address, get USPS informed delivery sign up, and track the card.

1 Like

Hi Anil,

Can I have the contact Number, since my wife EAD also having the same issue… When I am trying to 800-375-5283, it is not at all connecting to the live person/Agent. It always going to IVR, when we request more times it disconnecting the call

Can you please help me

Thanks & Regards,
Venkat

Can I have the USCIS contact Number Please, which is attending the call with live people not the IVR

1 Like

USCIS has made it extremely difficult to call them and talk to any LIVE person. I have no idea how to reach a person.

1 Like

thank you for quick reply

Most tasks are handled by Emma the chatbot. Recently my colleague interfiled his I693 medical and Emma was able to tell him that his application was received and is assigned to a officer.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. If you can share specific terms they used to ask Emma questions that would be great. I tried several different ways but not getting too far. Or was it chatting with an agent?

I thought I would update you with my experience:

USPS returned my card to USCIS as they marked it undeliverable.

• Apparently, this can be for a number of reasons but likely because my mailbox was full and did not have my name on it. I had received all previous correspondence from USCIS with no issue with mail.

I called USCIS and they said they can’t submit an e-request (an e-request is what you need for them to send the EAD card back to you) until they officially have the card back at USCIS.

It took about 3-4 days for USPS to return the card (once the failed delivery), then another 2 or 3 days for USCIS to process the card through their returns system. Once an e-request was submitted it took about 2 days for the card to be sent back to me and in my hand. I also got a new tracking number.

Advice if your card is sent back to USCIS;

• Call USCIS when your card arrives at the USCIS facility (they may say its too early to process an e-request but I just called every day until I could submit the e-request through the agent).

• Submit an e-request ONLY via phone with an agent. DO NOT do an e-request online. Apparently this takes longer.

• They say the e-request can take 30 days to process but my e-request was processed likely within 1 day and I had my card back within 2 days of my e-request.

• I ended up staying home all day the day my EAD card was delivered as USPS couldn’t tell me why my card was sent back. However, I also cleared out my mailbox and had clearly put my name on the mailbox just in case.

1 Like