H4 Visa Extension - Online or Offline

Hello Anil,

I moved to different company after my H1B visa was approved, i had a choice to apply for H4 Visa extension but the attorney was charging additional fees. So i decided to file on my own. Now the question is can i apply online or do i have to go with paper work.

Thanks

Answer available here:

Hi Anil,

In the sample form I539, I had a doubt on Page 2 Part 3 Q3a:

If the H4 extension application is being done separately, the answer to Q3a should be No if the H4 holder has no kids, correct?

And if the H4 extension application is done based on a pending H1B extension, the answer to Q3a should be Yes, filed previously and pending… & the USCIS case# should be added in 2b and 3b, correct?

Hi Anil,

I am about to file H4 Extension, I need one clarification on the documents part do I need to submit H4 EAD card document for H4 extension alone.

Thanks,
Ravi

please refer : https://www.am22tech.com/sample-i539-form/

H4 and H4 EAD are seperate petition. if you are not filling H4 EAD extension , you do not need to submit H4 EAD card.

Thanks suresh, One last doubt If we file H4 along with H1B both the applications will go to same service centre?. If we file H4 separately will it go to different service centre. Can you please clarify on this.

Hello, are you doing are paper filing or online? Are we allowed to file for extension online or it has to be paper only?

Hello Anil,
I read your extensive detailed link on filing H4 extensions online. On August 6th 2020 I went ahead and applied with i539 form. I am eligible for online filing as my husband’s h1b was approved. Plus neither we have any other dependent applicants. I did receive the ref. Notice with file number that starts with MCT.
Situation:
Since past 3 weeks I was unable to check my status online therefore I did put a service request on USCIS only enquiry section. I did ask them about my biometrics status. Suddenly I received an email to that service inquiry today saying that
" Dear MUGDHA NITIN SHAH,

Thank you for your inquiry dated September 28, 2020.

Regarding your immigration inquiry:

After reviewing your inquiry, we have determined that the case type you are inquiring about is not currently supported by the USCIS online filing system; therefore, please contact the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283"

I was absolutly shocked to read the email as my i94 is already expired to September 30.
I did call USCIS and spoke to the agent twice.
They confirmed that it could be an error from the inquiry team because H4 can be filed online. They did not see any such change on my account and reassured that I may soon get biometrics request.

I am still unable to understand what should be my next step. I hope this reply is not a denial or something. Pls reply

What is the message shown on USCIS case status website for your receipt?

Hello Anil

Online status shows " Your application is received on August 6th 2020" and a generic details about how the USCIS will process application. I have received the receipt of acceptance.

If the USCIS case status is showing correctly, then there is no need to worry.

Hi Anil,

Thank you for your reply. Yes you are right. I wanted to leave an answer here to many who could in same situation like mine.
I spoke to the USCIS information supervisor. She said the ref. No. Starting from MCT which is only provided when the application is filed online. The system is unable to recognize MCT ref nos therefore many are getting glitch emails. Since this service is newly opened for H4 1-539 filing they are still working on fixing the system.

Incase if any have experienced similar issue pls do not panic.
Also USCIS online account shows an error msg for online filing but it is just they are trying to fix.

Thank you
Em.

1 Like

I have received H1-B receipt number (It’s still pending with USCIS). I want to apply H4 extension for my wife and kid. Please help me by providing the below question answers. Appreciated your help in advance!!! Thank you.

1. Is this application based on extension or change of status already granted to your spouse, child, or parent? If yes, provide USCIS Receipt Number
  • Yes
  • No
  1. Is this application based on separate petition or application to give spouse, child, or parent an extension or change of status ?
  • Yes filed with this i539
  • Yes filed previously and pending with USCIS
  • No

Hi Mugdha

Have you got your biometric notification from Uscis? How long its taking

Hello Saranyagp

Yes my biometric is done on November 20. It took around 3 months. But I had to raise the service ticket for biometric appointment. If you do not receive an appointment notification in 90 days post your application you have to call the customer service to raise the service ticket. After service ticket I received appointment email within a week.
Hope that helps.

Hello Allu_arjun

Sorry for the late reply. Just to be clear you cannot file H4 online with another dependent. File must be individual. Since you have mentioned here about your wife and kid. You have to file paper filing.

About the questions.
No. Because the status is not yet granted. In my case my spouse’s application was granted so I selected yes.

Question 2 must be B which is applied and pending with USCIS… next the question will be prompted to provide receipt number if application is pending. Then you must provide your receipt number.

Hope that helps.

Thank you that helps!!

Hi Sameer,

Were you able to find an answer to this question? I’ve read thought the sample I-539, but could not find the info I’m looking for.

For Page 2 > Part 3 > Question 3a
Is this application based on a separate petition or application to provide your spouse, child or parent an extension or change of status?

Answer Options: (i) Yes, filled with form I-539, (ii) No, (iii) Yes, filled previously and pending with USCIS.

IF, I am filling for an H4 extension and my spouse already has an approved H1B I-797 which is the basis of my H4 extension application. Then I should select option (ii) No. – Is that correct?