How to file H4 EAD, Documents, Form i765 (New / Renewal Process)

You can file H4 EAD separately yourself.

@anil_am22: I have my employer about to file my H1 and H4 extension in a week or two. I’m planning to apply for H4ead renewal in standalone once i get the H1 receipt . Would it be better to file H4EAD standalone or concurrently considering the current processing times or does it not matter either way. Which way do you advise? Thanks in advance.

I am planning to file H4 EAD for my wife and i would like to know the setps to file it?

Can someone help me here?

Can i file H4 EAD when H4 extension in process?

Thanks & Regards,
Mallik

Hi Anil,

Item Number 25. Your Current Immigration Status or Category.v - What should we enter if the H4 application is pending with Uscis

Thanks,
siva,S

Apply H4 EAD while H1B extension is pending.

hello my spouse on H1b received his I140 approval notice. I am on H4 and want to file new EAD . if you could please help guide, in Form I765 question 29, eligibility- which receipt notice number needs to be put. we have received I797 for I140 and have my spouse I797 for I129 (H1b) which was used to file I140.
also can i travel out of US while ead application is pending? would it trigger abandonment or denial or rfe?

Hi ,

If filing H4 extension and H4 EAD together. Do we need to provide two copies of same document or just one is sufficient like I797 copy of spouse. Do I need to provide two copies or one is sufficient ?

Each form ( H4/I-539 & EAD/I-765) must have attached supported documents so yes you need two copies of any redundant documents.

1 Like

Reg: H1,H4 and H4-EAD applying concurrently

Q1- Is there an advantage in filing H4-EAD application in the same (H1 and H4 extn)package ?
Q2- Q29 on EAD form asking for H1B- I797 recipe number. as this forum suggest to fill it as “FILED CONCURRENTLY” if application sent in same package as H1 and H4 Extenstion. but my attorney is only asking to fill last approved H1b Receipt number(which ends Dec2021). will USCIS consider the H1B mentioned in application or the current H1B filed along when adjucting EAD application ?
whats the best way of filing EAD to reduce the approval timelines. FYI we are filing in H1B in premium and H4 biometrics are done in May 2021.

We should fill with the current H1B Petition number and there is another question for how long-duration required, so based on this USCIS will issue EAD card.

In my case, I didn’t write as “CONCURRENT”.

so, basically you are saying, we should file EAD application after getting the receipt number for current H1B extension to get EAD dates same as current extension application , correct ?

what do you mean by “there is another question for how long-duration required” ? On I7765 form which section has this Question asking for duration ?. I am assuming "Current H1B petition " meaning the H1B currently working on and NOT the the we are going to apply, correct ?

Yes, you are correct. Just give the current H1B petition number.
The other question for duration will take care of duration of EAD, of course based on new H1B duration.

@anil_am22 Can clarify how soon we can file for H4 EAD extension. In most places you say 180 days but on this post you say that its possible to do so even earlier in case we are doing an H1B transfer?

USCIS allows us to file H4 EAD with H1B Amendment and H1B transfer applications even if the current card is valid for more than 180 days.

Hi,
My previous employer I-140 is approved. Current Employer I-140 is in process. I have the I-140 receipt.
Current employer H1B is approved and H4 receipt notice I have.
I need to file H4 EAD extension.

1. Can I use previous employer approved I-140 OR shall I use current employer I-140 receipt notice.
  2. Can I also attach current employer H1B-1797 approval OR it is not needed to attach.
  3. Attaching current Employer H4 receipt notice.
  4. Marriage certificate
  5. Previous EAD card.

Response will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

H4 EAD needs approved I-140 so in your case you may use your past I-140.

This is required to establish primary H1B status.

How to file H4 EAD.

so i can attach the below docs? Somewhere it was saying if you already lived past 6 years even approved perm will work if I140 is pending.

1. Old approved I-140 even if current is pending.
  2. Current approved H1b.
  3. Current H4 extension receipt.

Thanks,
Arun

1 Like

so i can attach the below docs?

1. Old approved I-140 even if current is pending.
  2. Current approved H1b.
  3. Current H4 extension receipt.

Thanks,
Arun

Yes. Also follow the list of document in the link I shared.

1 Like

Hi Anil,

Can you please assist with this query, I am on H4 EAD . I have been an employee of a company since 2006 ( I used work in India), when i moved to US, I left the job and after one year when i got the work permit, i rejoined the same company on H4 EAD. Can I they file for my GC under EB1 category?
Please assist as I would like to change the company if i don’t have any GC opportunity.