I-140 case was sent to the Department of State

Hi,

My employer said my I-140 is approved, but hasn’t shared the receipt #. I submitted a FOIA request to USCIS as given in this article: USCIS FOIA Request for I-140 information (Sample G-639) - USA.

USCIS has provided the I-140 receipt #, but the case status on their website for that receipt # is: “On January XX, 2020, we sent your case, Receipt Number LINXXXXXXXXXX, to the Department of State for visa processing.”

USCIS also included in their response: "This petition is no longer with our agency. The requested records fall under the purview of the U.S. Department of State. If you wish, you may request those records from DOS at the Office of Information Programs & Services. "

Since I would need I-140 approval notice to transfer to another employer after July, please advise how I can get it from the DOS.

Thanks,
Atrina

Has your employer received approval notice? Did they tell you?

If it was approved, then you can use the i140 receipt notice that you received from USCIS FOIA to file H1B transfer.

Hi,

My employer has only said it is approved. Can I use only the receipt # for transfer? I saw elsewhere that I would need the actual approval notice, the I-797 for my I-140.

Thanks,
Atrina

Hi Sada,

what did u do in your case?
I am facing similar issue now.

1 Like