I94 extension for H4 EAD without valid visa at Canada border

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to get an I94 extension ( with expired visa stamp on passport) with spouse’s H1 extended(approved till Sept 2025) at the Canada border? My H4 and H4 ED are currently pending. Any experiences or suggestions on how to go about it? I have seen posts about experiences at the Mexico border but has anyone tried the US- Canada border?


Many people on east coast do go to CBP at Canada border however it has not worked for some probably because the officer who handled may not be fully aware of I-94 extensions process. Mexico border though works better than Canada.
Just search this forum or google and you may find experiences shared by others.

1 Like

Found the answer to your question yet? Im in the same boat. H-4 VISA stamp in the passport has expired. Can h4 applicant go to canada or mexico border by land and get I-94 extended based on H1-B’s recently extended I-94 ? Officer won’t complain that the H-4 visa stamp is expired right ?

Hey, as far as I have researched, without a current visa stamp for H4, the probability of extending the I94 based on H1B’s I94 is not high. We haven’t attempted it. Please let me know if you have found any way to do this.