Indian passport renewal NewYork center experience

Want to share my experience with passport renewal for my minor child.
#very long post#NewYork centre.
Following is the timeline
I submitted the online application in last week of dec2020.

1. 2nd jan application sent by fedex
  2. 4th jan received by them update on fedex
  3. 11th jan email and sms by vfs that packet received with following message
    “Your package has been received at the VFS application Centre. Our current processing times are longer than usual. Your application will be reviewed with 48-72 business hours. You are requested to track the status of your application after 2-3 business days”

I thought in case of minor it’s not necessary to send change of appearance and self sworn affidavit.As I did not send these two forms I received following request email.

1. 20th jan email received that document missing affidavit of change of appearance n sign.send the documents in next 7 days or else your application will not be processed. Attach this email with the documents.

2. 21st jan sent the document by fedex

3. 25th jan received by them update on fedex

4. 3rd feb email n sms
    We have ‘Received’ your Application and your application is now ‘Under Process’ at New York.

5. 4th feb email & sms
    Your Application has been ‘Processed’ at the VFS India Consular application Centre and currently is ‘In-Transit‘ to the Embassy of India/Consulate General of India for decision making.

From status next from here I donot receive any email or sms.They were visible in online status checkup of application

9)2/12/2021
Application Status Passport application is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.
You cannot take any action on this ARN as the same is under processing at the respective Indian Embassy/Consulate. In case of any queries, please refer the website of the corresponding Embassy/Consulate (or the Outsourced Service Provider, if passport services are outsourced).
10) 2/20/2021
Application Status Print has been initiated for passport.
11) 2/23/2021
Application Status Passport has been printed.
12) 2/26/2021
Application Status Passport has been handed over by the Embassy/Consulate to the OSP executive for further dispatch to the applicant.

Following status update ,I received emails as well as sms.
13) 2/27/2021
Your Application has been reviewed by the CG of India and is ready for collection at the ICAC or will be dispatched within 24 business hours.
14) 2/27/2021
Your document (s) is dispatched on 27-02-2021 using the return label purchased or sent by you.

I was able to track the shipment on fedex on 3/1/2021ie 2days after they shipped it.it may be because it was weekend.
I received the old and new passport on 3/2/2021

I did not call consulate or sent an email or locked any online complaint during this period.
I almost renewed it 6months before so I was in no hurry.
Minor passport can not be applied under tatkal.

I purchased their return fedex labels while paying for application fee.

I took the passport picture at CVS.

Documents submitted

1)With the original printout of 4 pgs application form with thumb impression of applicationst and signature of both parents(1 picture on this form)
2)Checklist form
3)other mandatory docs mentioned in checklist like copy of complete passport of both parents,legal status in USA,address proof of USA.
4)Annexure D notarized
5)Annexure E notarized
6)Affidavit of change of appearance and signature(2nd picture on this form)
Notarized with thumb impression of minor and both parent signature
7)Self sworn affidavit
Notarized with thumb impression of minor and both parent signature

What I learned from my experience that you have to be patient, as you dont have much choice.
You can observe that, their update takes quite a lot time by my timeline.
This was at #NewYork center.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Did you opt for the paid SMS service? Looks like SMS notifications are for activities undertaken by VFS. Also, no police verification?