Is H4 processing affected due to the new biometric requirements?

Hi Anil,

My H1-B extension was filed in the California Center with a receipt date of Feb 22nd, 2019 under regular processing.
Along with the same application, my wife’s H4 extension as well as H4-EAD renewal applications were also filed in the same center with the same receipt date.

My wife’s H4 EAD expires in July and she is also pursuing a graduate program right now. She has a job offer on hand for an internship beginning April.

Can you please let me know what would be the expected time for EAD renewal given the circumstances. How much does it depend on my H1-B extension approval and her H4 extension approval?

I have the option of upgrading my H1-B extension petition to premium processing which means I can get an answer within 15 days.
However, I have been told that this does not apply for H4 processing due to the new biometric requirements.

Does it make sense to move my wife to an F1 visa from H4 and if yes can both applications be filed concurrently?
How much time would it take for F1 approval and is there an option to file the H4 to F1 transfer application at a different center?

Apologies for the long question but I would appreciate if you can provide the correct guidance.

Thanks,

H4 Processing is affected by Biometric if filed After Mar 21, 2019

Your H4 application was filed before Mar 21, 2019 and hence it is not affected by H4 biometric requirement.

Your best chance to get fast H1B, H4 and H4 EAD approval is by upgrading your application to premium.

H4 to F1 Change of Status

It is your choice if you want to file H4 to F1 Change of Status. The processing time for such change of status application itself is about 5+ months at this time.

You cannot choose the USCIS service center as your choice. USCIS decides the service center.

Hi Anil,

Your best chance to get fast H1B, H4 and H4 EAD approval is by upgrading your application to premium.

Does this mean that my wife will not require a biometric appointment if I choose to upgrade my H1-B extension petition to premium processing today? Will USCIS consider the H4 also for premium processing or will it take the same 6-8 months as its taking today (if primary petition is upgraded to premium)?

Thanks,
Raj

I have clearly mentioned in my earlier response that your H4 extension does not need Biometric as it was filed before Mar 21, 2019.

Chances of H4 and H4 EAD approval within 15 days after you upgrade to Premium are 50-50. It all depends on USCIS officer.

Hi Anil,

I have one question, I am on H4 and my wife’s H1B extension is filed in premium. Can I know what is the time period it is taking for H4 Extension with new Biometrics.

I have shared my analysis of H4 approval time after biometrics here based on information shared on various groups.

Hi Anil,

I have one question. Can we file H4 extension before H1B extension?

H4 extention needs valid approved H1B. If you have approved H1B, you can file H4 extention.

But, this would not make any sense if the current H1B approval and current H4 already have same validity date.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Once LCA is filed for H1B how long it is valid?

A post was split to a new topic: Are the receipt no’s same for H1B and H4 when we file for H1B and H4 extension