L1A Grace Period

Hi,
I’m taking L1A in the US now. if I accept the rotation instruction from the headquarter to another region. It means I need to leave the current US company & my L1A will be expired. So will I have the 60days Grace Period then?
thanks & best regard,

Hi @JC68913

I don’t understand your question. What kind of 60 day grace are you talking about?

You want to stay in US for 60 days after leaving company or what?

You may be confused with H1B 60 day grace period, which is not applicable for L1A.

1 Like

Dear Anil,
thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I’d like to know if I leave the US company that I’m working by L1A, will we get some time to handle the personal issues then leave US. From your answer, seems L1A no grace period, so does it mean we need to leave US immediately, does there be any other solutions (to stay US)?
thanks & best regards,

hi Anil,
I do appreciate all your time & answers always.
for L1 Grace Period, I found some info from gov. website :
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5;node=8%3A1.0.1.2.18#se8.1.214_11
it doesn’t look like a Grace Period, but seems some period of stay could be approvable. am I right?

(2) An alien admitted or otherwise provided status in E-1, E-2, E-3, H-1B, H-1B1, L-1, O-1 or TN classification and his or her dependents shall not be considered to have failed to maintain nonimmigrant status solely on the basis of a cessation of the employment on which the alien’s classification was based, for up to 60 consecutive days or until the end of the authorized validity period, whichever is shorter, once during each authorized validity period. DHS may eliminate or shorten this 60-day period as a matter of discretion. Unless otherwise authorized under 8 CFR 274a.12, the alien may not work during such a period.

This is fine but I do not recommend to rely on it. It is better to leave US within 10-15 days once you stop working.

1 Like

Dear Anil,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree your recommendation. Seems there are no specific regulation for L1 Grace Period, so it’s really better to leave to avoid the USCIS officer’s negative explanation or left a bad record. thank you so much for your time & reply. wish all the best to your warm supports for the people.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: I485 EAD approved but AP is pending - Card not received yet

Dear Anil. everything good, I believe you & your family will be very safe due to you help so many people. : )
one more question, my EAD & AP passed yesterday. but the EB1C interview was cancelled due to USCIS shutdown through May 3rd (best case). I understand I can stay US with EAD after 485 pending >180days, also I can change the job. but due to the crisis, the next employer agreed to submit 485J become conservative now. so if I leave the current employer, can I stay some period unemployed till I find the other company to sponsor 485J (if USCIS still shutdown…) or I must sustain employed status for waiting EB1C final result?

It is better if you stay employed. Do not take any risk.

1 Like

I appreciate all your answers all the time.

my case & last status: EB1C, PD 3/14/2019, ROW, Combo got, 485 RFE submitted (health exam reports) for 4 weeks already.

My 485 already pending over 180 days, base on AC21, it’s legal to change job now.
and I also found the new employer who’s willing to sponsor me continuously. I’d like to reconfirm what shall I request them excepting I-485J? thank you : )

I appreciate all your answers all the time.

my case & last status: EB1C, PD 3/14/2019, ROW, Combo got, 485 RFE submitted (health exam reports) for 4 weeks already.

My 485 already pending over 180 days, base on AC21, it’s legal to change job now.
and I also found the new employer who’s willing to sponsor me continuously. I’d like to reconfirm what shall I request them excepting I-485J? thank you : )

Hi @JC68913

You should share the discussion you had with your Employer’s attorney too.

This is a discussion platform and we can help only if share your research and analysis too.

It cannot be a one way traffic.

Supplement J is required to be submitted by new employer.

Hi~ Anil,
Wish all the best to you & your family.
just one question, my 485 RFE (ask for healthy exam reports only) already submitted for 2+ months without any updates. do you think it’s normal? I heard the others usually get the results around 1~3 weeks only.