My experience for Indian Passport Renewal at SFO Consulate May-June 2022

Applied for a passport renewal under normal with a pending legal status in the USA (gc renewal under process) and with an USA address change.Took 3 weeks from the time the complete application was submitted to the SFO Embassy/Consulate.(May 23rd to June 13th).

Timeline:
May 12th : Government application form submitted online and printed.

May-12-May 18th : Documents prepared,VFS online registration completed,made payment and vfs shipping label generated on May 17th. Note - VFS FedEx label, once generated, cannot be generated again and one may use the same shipping label to ship the application within 7 days. Dropped off the application at my local Fedex store on May 18th, it got picked up on the same day.

May 19th: FedEx delivered package at VFS Center in San Francisco. Email from VFS as - We have ā€˜Receivedā€™ your Application and your application is now ā€˜Under Processā€™ at San Francisco and will be submitted to the Mission for decision making.

May 23rd : Received an email from VFS - ā€œYour Application has been ā€˜Processedā€™ at the VFS India Consular application Centre and currently is ā€˜In-Transitā€˜ to the Embassy of India/Consulate General of India for decision making.As soon as VFS India Consular application Centre receives an update, the status on the ā€˜Track and Traceā€™ page will be revised accordingly. To ā€˜Track and Traceā€™ please visit: https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/track-application and use Government reference number ( ARN, File Reference number) to get the updated status of your application."

May 23rd : Application status on VFS website - ā€œYour application has reached the Embassy/Consulate and is currently under review processā€

June 8th :Sent an email to the SFO consulate (oci2.sf@mea.gov.in,passport.sf@mea.gov.in) and VFS (info.ihcusa@vfshelpline.com) initiating the need for me to send a copy of my current legal USA status. VFS responded that at this stage they canā€™t do anything but I can contact the SFO consulate.Response received from the consulate asking me to send a digital copy of my new valid green card as an attachment.I did the needful.The Consulate emailed me back acknowledging the receipt of the document.

Note - If I had not emailed the consulate regarding the change in my legal USA status the consulate would have granted a short validity passport and I would have had to re-apply again for a Full Validity of Passport (passport valid for 10 years).

June 9th : Email about Initiation of Police Verification Request(s) received and Indian contact received a phone call to meet in person with the requested documents and information about my last travel dates to India.

June 10th : Gov portal status updated to "passport is printed and will be delivered shortly. Application status on vfs website as - Your document (s) is dispatched using the return label purchased or sent by you.If using VFS courier, please check for email from ā€œTrackingUpdates@fedex.comā€ for details.Email received from TrackingUpdates@fedex.com.

June 11th: Emails from VFS received - Your Application has been reviewed by the Embassy of India/ Consulate General of India & will be dispatched using the courier service you had opted.Also received the same VFS status in email.

June 13th : Passport delivered.

2 Likes

Hello - which VFS address did you send the application to and how long it took for them to acklowledge the receipt of the application? Its been 2 days package shows delivered but i didnt get any acknowledgment. Thnx

Mine was SFO consulateā€¦you need to check with whomever you sent it to.

did u send to following address? Please confirm
INDIAN CONSULAR APPLICATION CENTRE
FLOOR 5, 228 GRANT AVE
SAN FRANCISCO CA 94108

@V_Reddy could you please share what documentation your Indian contact provided during Police verification?