Online passport application in Portrait Format

They just asked me to print it on Portrait format

Yes! I am also on the same boat as you.I just spoke to the VFS personnel on phone. As it turns out, we MUST send a new photo along with a Portrait copy of our signed government application and courier them with our own expenses. Hope tha helps!

I got my renewed passport today. I printed it in potrait format and made sure it came in 4 pages.
To be honest, i was worried and was thinking that the font size was too small and VFS might reject it since the photographs were definitely out of the boxes, having said that, i did not get any calls or emails and finally i received my passport today.

-Neeraj

Hi Neeraj,

This is the message that I got today from VFS:

"We have ā€œRecievedā€ your Application however we are unable to proceed with the application due to the following reasons:

1. Additional documents : Please mail all documents to the , Passport Department VFS GLOBAL SERVICES PASSPORT MATCH UP 145 W, 45TH Street, 3rd Floor New York NY 10036.
  2. Online Passport Application Form : Online application form should be portrait format. Please reprint in the correct format (Portrait format) with both signature on 1st and last pages."

I am now trying to understand how can we print this Online Application Form in portrait mode in 4 pages? Can you please explain how you did it?

PS: Itā€™s really strange that Indian Passport Seva website does not provide the download automatically in Portrait mode if it is so important for them to get it in Portrait mode.

Regards,
Karan

I went to the Indian Government application and pressed print application. Then the print preview menu opened and I changed the paper size option to A4 and changed the scale of the print to 82%. I also unchecked print headers and footers to give the print more room. I changed the option from print to send in mail (as PDF) and emailed It to Fedex. This is on a MacBook by the way so some of the menu options maybe be different on Windows.I looked online for A4 size dimensions and showed Fedex At fedex they did not have A4 size paper so they cut down a larger sheet to A4 size then they printed it.

2 Likes

I do see in message sent to you , itā€™s says signature on 1st page and last page. In portrait and without changing print scale it comes in 5 pages on letter size paper, which is what we get here in USA. Wonder if they realized that?? However, my application was accepted with above modifications and is reached SFO consulate .

@Karan_Gupta
Hi,

I would say follow what Bhakti mentioned above . The good thing is that in your case, they are not specifically asking for page no. 4 being the last page.

I would say if you want to stick to page 4, then follow Bhaktiā€™s suggestion else simple adjust your printer properties to print as much as pages it throws but in potrait format.

Did you send it in landscape mode earlier?

If you still arenā€™t sure, how to achieve portrait format, or you intend to print it in 4 pages, then place your email id here, and i can connect with you offline.

Personally, if you ask me, even though my application went through fine, but given the chance, if i have to do it again, i would just do portrait and not worry about no. of pages.

-Neeraj

Hi Neeraj,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Earlier I had sent it in landscape mode because that is how the PDF file was when I downloaded it from Indian Passport website. It was not mentioned anywhere in the checklist that this has to be printed in portrait even though the default download would be landscape.

So, now, I will try to print it in portrait mode by freshly downloading it from the website. It will try using @Bhakti_Sakhraniā€™s method.

Also, what I understand is that I will have to paste the photo again and send it.

I wanted to understand is it necessary to post it via FedEx now or can I post via USPS? Also, I did not understand what they meant by this statement:

ā€œ1. Additional documents : Please mail all documents to the , Passport Department VFS GLOBAL SERVICES PASSPORT MATCH UP 145 W, 45TH Street, 3rd Floor New York NY 10036ā€. Do they expect me to send all documents again? Did you get a similar statement in your response from VFS?

Thanks for the help in advance!

• Karan

Ideally, it should not matter through what mode you send it as long as it reaches safely.
If i were you, i would go with fedex, even though itā€™s going to be a bit expensive atleast that will give you u an extra safety net.

The statement that you mentioned i.e.

1. Additional documents : Please mail all documents to the , Passport Department VFS GLOBAL SERVICES PASSPORT MATCH UP 145 W, 45TH Street, 3rd Floor New York NY 10036ā€

I would think, you would just send the application and not any other documents, since they already have it and they did not indicate any problems with it.

Coming to your last question, I did not got any issues, since they approved my entire package in one shot.

Good thing is atleast u have a open communication channel with him, itā€™s just a matter of time , may be few days, and they will approve it.

-Neeraj

In the document checklist - just go through the entire documents listed and see if any that you may not have submitted . I just went through entire document list and submitted whatever was relevant to my case. I think there is some document they need - canā€™t understand why they did not specify?

Hi All, I have not submitted my application yet. Did anyone get it approved with 5 pages [govt application form]?
Also, I am using A4 for all the documents. Is that ok?

I did. 5 pages are fine. Make sure none of the text is near the edge of the page. If you feel like it might get cropped off, try resizing it. Measure the picture box, it should be exactly 2 inches by 2 inches. Sign the 5th page.

Hello Prashant,

Were you able to print your online application form in ā€˜Portraitā€™ mode?
When I choose the ā€˜Portraitā€™ mode before printing it prints in Portrait mode but the page details are small and picture doesnā€™t fit. I tried with different printer settings, with legal size paper but no luck.

Please let me know if you had this issue and how you were able to print it.

Thank you.

I have the same issue. How to print the application in Portrait format? I changed the printer settings to portrait format, but the application still prints in landscape format

Try in another system/laptop then it works we have done the same

I got my passport reissued from NYC. Print came at 5 pages. Signed where needed. No issues at all. Got new passport

Did you affix the photo to the reprinted form? I am also reprinting the form in portrait mode, but I donā€™t have the same photo to affix. I called the VFS service center and they mentioned no need to affix the photo on the new form, but still confused on this as someone mentioned on this forum that the photo needs to be affixed again. If I take a new photo, I have to change the appearance form and affidavit it as well because the one sent has the old photo.

I am in the same boat, what did you do finally?

I Just signed on the form in portrait mode and sent it without affixing a photo. My application was accepted and I have received the passport as well. Also, the printed application form in portrait mode was a 5 page document and I didnā€™t scale it to make it 4 pages as suggested in some other discussions. I hope this helps.

Did you print everything on letter size or A4? Can some documents be letter sized?