Received I 797b instead of I797A as a H1B approval notice

Hello,

I studied in United States and was on STEM-OPT, F1 visa. After my H1B approval, I have received I 797B instead of I 797A even though I am working here in U.S. Is it normal and can I go for stamping?

Thanks in advance

Hi @ankita_12

Check with your employer. They would have received the actual H1B approval i797 notice.

Hello @Anil.Gupta,

I have the actual notice I 797 with me but my lawyer said its I 797 “B” and not “A”.
She also said in I797B status will not automatically change from F-1 to H-1B on October 1, 2019. When I am prepared to change status to H-1B, I will need to secure an H-1B visa stamp at a U…S Consulate abroad (not in the U.S.) using the Approval Notice and return to the U.S. in H-1B status.

I just want to confirm that is it normal to receive I797B ?

Looks like you do not know that you have got an H1B approval with ‘consular processing’.

Now, it depends on how your H1B application was filed i.e. with ‘change of status’ or ‘consular processing’.

USCIS takes the last decision. Sometimes, even if you file ‘change of status’ application, USCIS may approve it with ‘consular processing’. If they do change it, they give you the reason as to why they chose ‘consular processing’.

Do you know how your application was filed?

Hi @ankita_12,

I got the same approval I797B, Can you please share you experience, i am planning to attend the interview in November 2021 in India for my H1 stamping, can you help share share thing we need for interview.