Renew Indian Passport Questions 2021-2023

See if this answers your queries. There is a document section as well.

1 Like

contacted my attorney and got an apology from them saying they have lost it. They took like a week to inform me :smirk:

Sorry to hear that. Did you get back your old Passport?

I do. They lost my I-797C. Which is listed as one of the documents required if you have an expired Visa . The language is slightly confusing there so wanted to be safe and send all the documents but Alas I have to take a chance with just I-797A. Hope that it would work out.

1 Like

Hi, I am trying to retain Indian address in my passport renewal, and also have US address as other address listed in the application. I have Indian address proof that I am going to self-attest, in that case should I also send a notarized address proof for US address as well in my application package or just providing self-attested Indian address proof is sufficient? I didn’t find any information related to this on the VFS website.

Thanks.

1 Like

I did the same. Go thru this (there are other posts on this forum by very helpful community members. Take some time out to go through them):

Hi @Diwedy

My Indian passport is expired last month and I want to apply for the Renewal and I have a few questions. I would appreciate your response.

1. There is a correction needed (Street name update) in the existing Address on my passport. The correct address is on Adhaar card. So I want to use Adhaar Card as Indian Address Proof. But the issue is that,
    The address on My Adhaar card and my Expired Passport has state as “Andhra Pradesh” But after the state bifurcation, It now comes under state “Telangana”. Can I use Adhaar card with state as “Andhra Pradesh” while in the re-issuance passport application, it shows “Telangana”. Is that going to be an issue?

2. If there is an address change and change in appearance, can I still apply in ‘Tatkal’?

3. Should I send Color copies of all the required documents including first and last pages of the Passport?

4. Can I use a paperclip to bind the documents together? do I need to keep the original passport in a separate envelope?

Thanks!

Hello - Here you go:

1. If the address is of Telangana, that’s what needs to be mentioned. Did you refresh you Aadhaar on website to check if the change is reflected automatically? If yes, you can download e-Aadhaar and use it.
  2. No, in Tatkal you cannot change address. They almost match letter to letter.
  3. Only the ones explicitly mentioned in checklist. E.g. “Valid Status in US” (say, I797) and Address Proof. Remember to cross-check the latest checklist properly as requirements keep changing.
  4. Yes, you can use paperclip. DO NOT STAPLE. It’s good to keep passport in an envelope or pouch and use a clip to attach with other documents, as it’s easy to lose.

Hi @Diwedy

Thank you so much for the response.
I have not used/registered for e-Aadhaar earlier. I only have the copy that was issued when I first applied years ago. Now I tried to download or check but the website is not accessible outside India.
I also read somewhere that to download e-Aadhaar, you need to have a registered mobile number to receive OTP. How can I download e-Aadhaar in this case?

Thanks!

Yes, you need the same mobile number which you had used to get Aadhaar. Else, you will have to update latest number. You can use trusted VPN for accessing site.

If nothing works, you will have to go with what you have. There are other docs, which are acceptable as valid address proof. Take a look at those too…

1 Like

Ask some relative to go to adhaar enrollment center/ meeseva center/post office with a copy of your adhaar card to link/update mobile number, it takes a week max. Then you are ready, go to myAdhaar/ UIDIA website and choose ‘Demographic update’ or download e-adhaar options, enter UID and OTP. If you want to update your adhaar, keep supporting docs ready and it take 3-4 days. I use VPN to access adhaar portal from US.

1 Like

Hi @Diwedy Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @mrafi

Thank you for sharing the information.

I got to know that It is mandatory for the Aadhar card holder to be present at the enrolment center for biometrics even just for linking/updating mobile number. They cannot update it without the applicant.

1 Like

Hi @Diwedy

I have a few more questions while printing the application and required documents.

• Do I need to send all the pages of PG&E electricity bill or only the first page? If All pages, then does it require a notary signature on all pages? How about Rental Lease? How many pages to send and how many to notarize?

• For Passport’s first 5 and last 2 pages, I need to print each page on a separate paper right? so a total of 10 pages. And The Photo page and the last address page should be in portrait as it is or should it be landscape so that the details are readable without turning paper?

• Do we need to print the Passport Application form within 4 pages? Currently, it gets printed on 5.

Thanks!

1. First page of PG&E (with address and other details) is enough.

Lease: At least 2 pages - one, which has your rental details (along with address, of course) and 2nd, where both parties have signed.

One document, one notarization; irrespective of number of pages in that document.

1. You can print 2 consecutive pages of passport on one page (e.g Page 2-3; 4-5; etc.). Prints generally should be in portraits incl. Application form.

2. No, 5 is okie. Should be printed in portrait.

Hi @Diwedy,
Is Birth Certificate needed for Passport Renewal when there is no change in DOB or parents info? I need to renew my passport urgently and I saw that birth certificate or school leaving certificate is mentioned as one of the documents in the checklist. But I don’t have either of them and I don’t need to update any information such as DOB or parents’ details etc. in my passport. Would greatly appreciate your time and guidance. Thanks.

If you are not changing your DOB or any other associated fields, then neither of the certificates you mentioned are required.

Hey,

I send in all the documents for Passport renewal, but forgot to sign the VFS checklist, apart from that everything is completed.
Will this going to be a problem, do I need to re-send the whole application?

1 Like

You can only wait now for VFS to reach out to you.

Hello @rb77, were you able to notarize the US Valid status (EAD Card, Visa copy or I-797). I am facing an issue in getting this one document notarized. Any help is highly appreciated.