Renew Indian Passport Questions 2021-2023

Once submitted, you cannot edit your application. You need to create a new application. Once created, you need to replace existing ARN on the VFS site with new one, under customer info.

3 Likes

@anil_am22 - Thanks a lot for putting together this great post on Indian Passport renewal, truly appreciate it. It is really helpful.

I had a few questions -

1. Do we need to mention US address?

2. Most of the fields are editable except # 2 “That I am a continuous resident at the above mentioned address from”. So should we write the duration of stay by hand? Also, should we mention in MM/DD/YYYY or MM/YYYY format?

• We are not going to add/change the address in the new passport, we will go ahead with the existing Indian addres? So, do we need to provide any Indian address proof in this case?

• For the US legal status proof, do we need to take the copies of both front & back pages in case of I 797 approval notice?

• Is Spouse Passport copy required even though the spouse name is already there in the existing passport? And, we both are going to renew at the same time. If yes, just copy of front & back page is enough OR copy of 10 pages?

• VFS has a form to download for SELF SWORN AFFIDAVIT FOR INDIAN ADDRESS (link given below). However, it is non-editable. So, do we need to use that or we can create the one using the link provided in your post? VFS form is non-editable and needs to be hand written, correct?

Please do let me know on the above. Your help and support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Rachit Damani

Answers in the same order as your queries:

• I would suggest to either recreate the form in word doc or use the links from the article. VFS mentions that they do not accept handwritten forms, so it’s better to avoid as much as possible.

Annex E:

1. Yes
  2. Better use something like: 16 Mar, 2021 (do the same for DOB)
  3. Although not required but in few cases they have asked. If I were you, I would still send it - just to avoid resending documents and causing delay due to it. No need to notarize.
  4. Both pages 1 and 2. The back pages of both these pages not needed.
  5. If it already exists then copies not needed. If it makes you feel any better, send only front and back pages.
  6. This form you can download and hand-fill (no one reported otherwise). You can use the above link too, to generate it.
1 Like

@Diwedy - Thanks a lot for providing the details, really appreciate it.

1 Like

@anil_am22 - When we create the form using the links from your article, it provides the current date in the form. Does it need to be the same as notary date OR notary date can be different?

Dates can be different. It does not matter.

@anil_am22 - Thanks a lot for the confirmation, much appreciated.

@anil_am22 - I have just noticed that the format for Self Sworn Affidavit form is little bit different between VFS & app form in your article, they have mentioned about Indian address & Police station (link is below). Will it cause any issues If I create using your app OR we should use the format given by VFS?

Appreciate all your help and support.

The app’s format has been tried and tested and it works.

You can write the police station name by hand if you know it.

The police station is actually filled on the government’s passport application form where they let you select a value.

1 Like

@anil_am22 - OK got it, sounds great. Thanks a ton, much appreciated.

Just a few last questions -

• I 797 approval notice for H4 contains only 1 page (unlike H1B which contains 2 pages). So, copy of 1 page is fine for H4 OR both front & back required?

• Can we place the original Passport on top of the VFS document checklist OR it should be arranged in the order it is mentioned?

• Also, can we keep the passport in the small envelope which we use to mail any letter OR it should be passport cover? Please guide.

Appreciate all your help and support.

1 Like
  • Front Page should be fine
  • Passport can be kept anywhere. Other docs should be in the order mentioned in checklist
  • Small envelope is okie. You can send it without any envelope too.

Thank you so much for the details, really appreciate it.

@anil_am22 / @Diwedy - I was entering my Indian address (To be printed on the passport) in the Govt Online application form and due to character limit in the address textbox, I missed out on 1 character i.e. instead of ROAD, I could type in only ROA. So, just wanted to check if I use RD instead of ROAD, will it be considered a change in the address?

I am trying to put the same address as my current passport. In my current passport, I have ROAD but due to character limit in the application form, I am not able to type in the full word.

Appreciate your guidance on this.

Hi @rachitdamani

There is no fixed concrete answer for this. VFS is picky and may or may not approve it. They match each letter by letter.

You will probably have to speak to them to know if they will accept ‘rd’ for ‘road’. They do make an exception for cases where the online site does not allow the full address to be entered.

1 Like

Hi @anil_am22 - Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I spoke with them and they said that you can write ‘rd’ instead of ‘road’ due to character limitation and it should be fine, it won’t be considered a change in address.

Thanks a lot for all your support and help, really appreciate it.

Hello,

Question about self sworn affidavit for Indian address. The VFS site form is what we need to write in to or we can create the same on word doc and print?

Thanks,

Either way works - Print and fill; or, you can create a filled in word doc and then print.

Third option: you can use this app too - easy and simple:

https://apps.am22tech.com/in/self-sworn-aff-indian-address/

2 Likes

In one of the application forms it says handwriten forms are not accepted.

How do we submit these forms which are on the links in checklist. There is no option to type in to these forms.

1. Annexure E - Point 2 - there is no option to select date online?
  2. Affidavit for change of appearance and signature
  3. Self sworn affidavit for Indian Address - the format is different on the Checklist

Thanks in advance!!

People on this forum have confirmed that handwritten forms (ones you mentioned) have been accepted. If you aren’t confident, either recreate the forms in word doc or use the links from the article.

Affidavit for change of appearance and signature: you can print and fill it offline, in case you are wary about the photo box, etc. Handwritten is accepted.

1 Like

Hi everyone.
I am just starting my application. I am in Massachusetts and will file my application for passport renewal to NY consulate. But I have a question about the documents.
For birth date verification do I need to submit the original birth certificate or a copy of it.
I am scared to send my original one so wanted to clear my doubt.

Thanks,
Amit