Renewal of minor Indian Passport at USA - Police Verification Initiated email

Hello Raghu
I have a similar situation. My status shows that “Print has been initiated” while I have received an email regarding the “ Initiation of Police Verification Request”. Could you please share your experience.

I applied for renewal PP on 5th for my 6 yo son, I saw status changed to printing initiated and in parallel to that I received email for police verification. The address is locked and no one stays there. I am not sure what will happen. If police verification is adverse then PP will be revoked? Or we can still use it and then when we return to India we can re-initiate. Anyone has experience if they have received PP but police verification is adverse?

No you can’t put just US address, you need to supply the Indian address thats either new address or the one already printed on your current passport. Btw the process is not logical at all if someone is applying from different country & that to a renewal no matter adult or minor there should be no such physical verification requested at first as thats not possible OR they should clearly ask us to supply the information if verification can be done with relatives and neighbors. For now it seems the process is just a formality in case to catch a high profile edge case but surly they need a lot to improve on this process part

Hi @Rajesh_Ghotekar, I just got an email saying that police verification is initiated. But nobody is staying at my Indian address at the moment. What should I do in this case? Please help

When it happened to me , I emailed the verification documents to the sp office & the local/area police station email that you can find from the official website (not much use though but try)

I got lucky I was able to get hold of the local police station assigned officers Whatsapp through my friends help & he asked for the document images over Whatsapp for verification of my daughter n son. You need to figure out some workaround with your local area police station verification officer.

I got the police verification in India email as well (exactly one month after I applied
e.g. Aug 2022 in SFO office) and it showed my India Address as the permanent address which is weird since I never mentioned it as permanent address. I sent an enquiry by email and received response- “We understand that you are staying in the US for a long time, but please be informed that police verification is done for every customer who hold Indian passport”. But I received the passport in few days without doing anything. My brother at India address got a call from the police station afterwards about a month and half later. I travelled to India at the same time as well and provided copy of Aadhar card and a letter from village Mukhya. It was completed in about a week.
So, it seems they do police verification after sending the passport , just like Tatkal service. Not sure what will happen if police verification fails in India.

This did not happen last time when I renewed my passport in NYC 10 years ago. Possibly a newer process.

Welcome to illogical bureaucracy in modern India!

1 Like