Split Name in Indian Passport - USA - 2022

Hello All,

Has anyone split the name in the Indian Passport from USA recently ? what were the documents submitted ?

When i submitted the application with VFS in Feb 2021, I had shared the original notarized affidavit in the expected format along with attested Aadhaar /pan card / school certificate copies.
But today received an intimation from VFS(Submit 2 public documents with new name (split name)) which clearly has the name as you had mentioned(Given Name : A & Surname: B) and do not know any government docs issued in this format.

Could anyone please advice ASAP how you to proceed ?

I did check in other messages but haven’t noticed an answer for this concern.

1 Like

I had gone through this process back in 2012 @ the consulate in Houston. Back then the process involved turning in your old passport along with an affidavit, requesting the name be split and that was about it. They didn’t ask for anything more. Looks like requirements have changed since then.

How about your Drivers license and US visa sticker ? Do they show your name being split ? If so you could ask VFS if that would work

Did you figure out a solution for this ? The following official website clearly acknowledges that none of the Indian documents (PAN card, Aadhar card) show the name of person in Given name and Last name format. Did VFS provide any guidelines for what documents they will accept ?

Thanks

Hi Ajith,

Did you get this resolve? I am into the same situation now and stuck. Please help

Hi Karthik / Dinesh,

Received the new passport today (April 15 2021) with the name split. ( Took 2+ months with SFO cons.)

Documents submitted are Name Change Affidavit , Aadhaar card / PAN Card / US Driving License / US Bank Account Statement.

Thanks.

Hi Ajith, What did you fill the Name change affidavit? Did you fill old name as FNU Given Name? Can you share the template please? I submitted passport renewal with split name and got an email from VFS to submit as below. So I only could fine Notary affidavit for AFFIDAVIT FOR CHANGE IN NAME and not sure what I should mentioned old vs current name.

1. Additional documents : NAME CHANGE AFFIDAVIT NOTARY AFFIDAVIT FOR SPLIT OF NAME WITH (2) TWO PUBLIC DOCUMENTS CARRYING THE NEW NAME /ARRANGEMENT OF NAME

@ehtesham.s have you received any communication after that?

@ajithprakash I am also in same situation, they keep asking for documents… i already provided DL , voter card and aadhaar card.

@Gags1 I shared Education documents, Voter ID and Notary affidavit for AFFIDAVIT FOR CHANGE IN NAME sent it.
Now VFS shows status as submitted to embassy.

Did you fill old name as FNU Given Name in the affidavit?

Hi Arvind,

I did not fill FNU in the affidavit,Only the Given name & Surname as per the passport.Attached format will help in filling the form.

Hi Ajith
So you just fill the first/ given name and last name and they did not ask any support documents

Anyone got License NJ with FNU name. i need urgent help as to how they got it and at which DMV. they are not approving the name format. everywhere else i have First: FNU, Last : part1 part2 .
passport has First : part1 part2 Last : .

passport has
Surname :
Given Names : PART1 PART2 .

NAME CHANGE AFFIDAVIT NOTARY AFFIDAVIT FOR SPLIT OF NAME WITH

• Above form can be filled and notarized at place like UPS or we need Lawyer /CPA?

(2) TWO PUBLIC DOCUMENTS CARRYING THE NEW NAME /ARRANGEMENT OF NAME - They said aadhaar card, educational documents ( both these documents don’t mention break up of first /last name - so they just have “PART1 PART2” in name. This should be okay ?)

1 Like

@Shrikant_Y

1. Better find a notary than UPS, they charge a lot.
  2. I provided Aadhar and Pan card as public document and they didn’t ask any questions. I had just part1 part2 on both the IDs. None of indian documents have name breakup like US document has i.e. FN - part1, LN - part2 .

@up_dug - Can you please tell me how to get the affidavit notarized. It has mentioned in presence of and then 2 Name and address fields.

What is the process to get it notarized

Hello everyone,

I need suggestions for my splitting of name in Indian Passport. I am at present in Montreal, Canada. I have all my names written in Given names in passport. However, the university here requires the names to be written separated as Given Name and Family Name. I am in trouble here because I do not have Family Name written separate in my passport. I was thinking of doing this name split in India. Any idea about how to proceed with this process?

In India, it’s simple to do. If you are not changing any letter in your existing name and only splitting it, they won’t ask for any document as proof. You can still carry docs such as DL, Aadhaar, etc. in case they ask for something.

1 Like

Find some desi public notary, They might have done notary of several passport application.
Process is to get notary’s sign and seal on every document you submit including affidavit.
For affidavit you can get two witness signature before you got to notary.
To find google public notary near me - don’t go to bank notary.

Hi @up_dug & @ajithprakash,

Thanks for your explanation on public notary ,
I have the similar issues on passport

Issue 1 : Given name is (familyname myname) and Lastname is (Blank)
Issue 2 : Fathers’ Name : (familyname fathername) instead of (fathername Familyname) same thing happened to my mothers’ name as well.

Now my SSN is not received and it is still stuck at SAVE since 4 months now due to that I lost my employement opportunity as there is no SSN and hence I am planning to solve my root cause i.e…, Name split and parents name change on passport

Could you please give me a detailed explanation as of how to file for both two issues from USA.
This will be a great help.

Thanks,
Sowmya.

I’m also in the same boat …. Its been 5th month i didnt get ssn …. I’m going to apply for name splitting