URG| H1B Transfer | Liquidated Damages

I did H1b visa transfer to a prime vendor. But due to some personal reasons, I am not able to join to prime vendor and decided to continue with the existing employer. I signed employment agreement which talks abt liquadated damages payment.

“Employee fails to commence the services as per the start date in the offer letter or voluntarily resign from Technologies, Inc within the first twelve months of employment, Employee agrees to pay Technologies, Inc. upto $20,000.00 USD towards damages incurred within one (1 week) of the said occurrence.” .

As per employer if I dont pay, he is saying its mentioned in contract I should pay otherwise it will proceed legally.

“shall be resolved in the courts of the State of New Jersey. As
part to the resolution process, both parties may be required to enter mediation or binding arbitration, which
shall be conducted in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association in New Jersey.”

Question: Should I pay 20000$.

Based on what you mentioned, it seems like the damages are binding on you as per the contract so you should pay the damages.
If you are looking to not pay, better to consult a lawyer and discuss your options.

1 Like