Use relative's addrees as India Address - no address proof?

Hi, I have to renew my India Passport. I have not gone back to India in several years - not on good terms with father (abusive past etc.) and mother passed away. So I am afraid to give my Father’s address as Other Address. (Note: Already planning to use US address as passport printable address.)

So I am thinking of using my relative’s address as Care of Address. Relative lives in a different state than where I grew up. Obviously, I have no address proof with my relative’s address.

1. Is this going to be a problem? How does police verification happen in this case?
  2. Does this count as “Change Indian Address” and require address proof of some kind? My previous passport shows US address, and am using US address on new passport too. However, this address is different from the India address I gave during last renewal. So, can I skip address proof here, or do I need to do something?

You can use your relative’s address and no address proof should be needed as you are opting to print US address on passport.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m also on the same boat just like you and I was wondering how the process went for you? Could you please help me with some information or any thing you did in particular to get your passport renewed?

Thanks

I ended up chickening out and not using relative’s address. Gave old home address which is rented out because sister was able to put me in touch with the tenants there. Gave the tenant’s phone number.

That said, having gone through the application process, you can give your relative’s address I think - I didn’t find anything in the application itself that made be think using relative’s address might be a problem. Just, there isn’t an explicit field to put the relative’s name. So, in my case, I couldn’t put the tenant’s name - only their phone number. They got a call from police - still trying to figure out if the police will come to the house etc. as in the call they didn’t say when they will come etc.