Approx. processing time under Normal processing?

Hi,

What’s the approx. processing time under Normal processing?
I applied for passport renewal at Houstan, Texas.

-Neeraj

Hi Neeraj,

2 to 3 weeks for normal processing. I had mine in 2 weeks from Chicago.

1 Like

Hi Vishnu,

Thanks for the information.
I have been trying to track the application via VFS site but after entering the ref. no. starting with USA and my DOB, it says invalid input.

By any chance, do you know, if the ref. no. is the one that was generated from VFS site that we have to put it in the vfs site.
https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/track-application

-Neeraj

Hi, You need to enter the Govt website reference number that was generated while submitting the application.

Hi Vishnu,

I tried that as well. Are you sure, you have been using the url that I specified above?

-Neeraj

Yes, it is the same link… Did you receive a confirmation from VFS that they received your documents? Only then you will be able to track the status…

Oh, i did not receive a confirmation from VFS.
May i ask approx. after how many business days you receive that confirmation from them ?

-Neeraj

For me it took 2 days after the courier delivered my documents to VFS and this is for VFS Chicago. This could be different for other locations…

Did you receive any update?I thought you are in TX and it would be quicker. But seems it is not about the number of applications.

Hi,

Yes, i did. Refer below

Tuesday, 11/24/2020 Passport Shipped to VFS
Wednesday, 11/25/2020 Passport Received by VFS
Monday, 11/30/2020 eMail Received from VFS about they processing the application
Wednesday, 12/02/2020 Application sent by VFS to Embassy for further processing.

@raji1 Is your also Texas and under normal processing ?

-Neeraj

No,I am in NYC. So it would be more complicated

VFS possibly would take 10-15 days for processing based on other posts here. Not sure how long it takes at the NYC consulate. can someone post experience ?

I already got my passport, but my Center was Houstan, Texas.

They received my courier on 11/25 and i received my passport on 12/11.

Why do you think NYC is going to be complicated? It’s the same form… right? Could you please elaborate what do u mean by it’s going to be complicated?

-Neeraj

It is the same form and same documents.
I am concerned after reading the reviews about hardships that lot of applicants are facing.

I would say, too much of analysis lead to paralysis.

Irrespective of location, if the documentation is not up to mark, then obviously they will ask you to fix it, but to assume that the problems that diff. individuals have faced, you will for sure face it is a wrong assumption.

As long as you abide by checklist, you should be fine.

-Neeraj

Documentation is not everything. Lot of applications appears to be pending for no reasons communicated.

Sorry @raji1 , I have absolutely no clue what additional information to provide you if they have held up your application beyond reasonable time frame and not telling you the exact reason.

I suggest, it’s best to follow up with VFS directly.

-Neeraj

Hi Neeraj,

below are the notifications I got from VFS. So what would be expected time to get the renewed passport.

• Dec 4th : We are awaiting the following documents
    1. ANNEXURE D/MISSING NOTARY

• On DEC 8th : Summited the Missing documents.

• On Dec 12th : We have ‘Received’ your Application and your Application is now ‘Under Process’ at ICAC in Consulate General of India.

• On Dec 16th : Your Application has been ‘Processed’ at the ICAC and ‘In Transit’ to the Embassy for decision making.

Regards,
Praveen.

@Praveen_Kumar7 For me it, took total 9 days from where you are right now, and i had my passport in hand.

The only unknown is if the Police verification takes a lot longer than what it took for me. It took just 2 days for the police verification.

Hope it helps !!

-Neeraj

1 Like

That is an interesting point.
Did your family member visit the police station for the verification or was it over a phone call? I do not have anyone who can do it for me.